[Sverchok] Development of IfcSverchok nodes - GSoC 2022

edited July 2022 in General

Hi there!
The past two weeks, and the rest of the summer, I'll be working on the IfcSverchok project as part of this years Google Summer of Code. The project is based on “Create visual programming nodes for generating BIM data with IfcSverchok”. @Moult and @aothms are providing guidance and crucial insights. :)
The general idea is to develop a plugin (set of nodes) for Sverchok (the visual programming language of Blender) that enable both manipulating Ifc models and creating one from scratch alongside modelling in Blender/Sverchok.
I shared my original proposal back in May and have since updated the mockups with a bit more detail. Here, I've focused on a single use case of creating a space with corresponding building elements.

Right now, the architecture/logic of the nodes is still up in the air, so any feedback is welcome. :)
As a first structure I tried to base the nodes directly on the Ifc schema (roughly one node per Ifc object), but that turns out to be a bit verbose in a visual setting, so some of the nodes will be joined (like the material nodes, psets and possibly the type-nodes).

There are many approaches to communicating the object hierarchy of Ifc schema to the user, we've been discussing a bit a geometry-based approach (3) and a more explicit parent/child relationship (1) and (2). It'd definitely be beneficial to use as many existing geometry-manipulation nodes as possible as seen on (3) (eg. using some Topologic nodes for a smarter solution than what I did here..), but I'm not sure if an implicit hierarchy would be clear enough for the user.
All of these are very much WIP and are just meant to aid the discussion.
I'm just throwing these mockups out here, and if anybody has comments or tips, I'll be more than happy to hear them. :)

btw. there is not a whole lot on there yet, but I'll be trying to keep track of the project on https://mdjska.github.io/GSoC/.

1)

2)

3)

bitacovirbasweinSinastabrunopostlechunchktheoryshawJanFtlangAcevictorklixtoand 5 others.

Comments