Editing IFC in Blender

Think this might be my first post
I recently dug out an old Revit project (had to download Revit to export to IFC) and have successfully imported into Blender. It seems that everything has come through as expected. Have cleaned up some stuff, and now onto the part that is interesting. On one wall of the house, I have two windows that I would like to enlarge into one long window opening. So I am attempting to delete one of the ifcOpening objects and one of the window. But I keep getting the following error

Error: Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\sceye\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.2\scripts\addons\blenderbim\bim\module\geometry\operator.py", line 378, in invoke
return self.execute(context)
File "C:\Users\sceye\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.2\scripts\addons\blenderbim\bim\module\geometry\operator.py", line 367, in execute
return IfcStore.execute_ifc_operator(self, context)
File "C:\Users\sceye\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.2\scripts\addons\blenderbim\bim\ifc.py", line 369, in execute_ifc_operator
result = getattr(operator, "_execute")(context)
File "C:\Users\sceye\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.2\scripts\addons\blenderbim\bim\module\geometry\operator.py", line 382, in _execute
self.delete_ifc_object(obj)
File "C:\Users\sceye\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.2\scripts\addons\blenderbim\bim\module\geometry\operator.py", line 331, in delete_ifc_object
self.remove_filling(rel.RelatedBuildingElement)
File "C:\Users\sceye\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.2\scripts\addons\blenderbim\bim\module\geometry\operator.py", line 347, in remove_filling
bpy.ops.bim.remove_filling(obj=obj.name)
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'name'

Just wondering if this is due to the Revit -> IFC -> Blender, and if it is fixable

Of course any links to similar topics are appreciated - I do honestly suck at search.

Comments

• edited August 2022

Possible to share the file?
    I would recommend, when modifying existing IFC files, to export out the IFC quite frequently, just so you can be assured the export is working as you modify the design.
    It also helps using version tracking software, like dropbox or similar, so if the IFC file 'breaks', you can reimport the previous IFC back into Blender and start again. This will allow you to narrow in on the exact moment something broke, and will be easier to troubleshoot.

• File is for a personal project so have no issue sharing. Am also using it to get familiar with creating and working in BIM in Blender. So all help, and tips n tricks greatly appreciated

• @sceyefeye you'll need to share the IFC file, not the Blend file, as the BlenderBIM Add-on works with IFC natively so the Blend file doesn't actually hold any data, just acts as a geometry cache. You'd also need to share step by step instructions on what you did, like 1. delete object x, 2. resize object y, etc :)

• Oops my bad, here is the IFC

• I was able to edit and save an openin and window witthout an error

maybe show which windows you wan to edit?

• Ha ha, that is weird - just reimported the IFC and as you note, now I can edit. So yeah not sure what I changed prior to creating my problem, but now it seems to have gone away. For interest sakes, was aiming for the to on the end to the right of the above image.

Thanks all for taking a look, if I can figure out what I broke I will report back in case anyone else encounters the same issue. Very glad it is working now

• And some quick follow up.
    I seem to be able to delete stuff, and edit, and then suddenly I cannot delete an opening type, or I can't add a new opening to a wall, even copying an existing opening elements. Still cannot figure out why some items are "editable" and others refuse point blank

• In my experience some operations might loose the links between blender objects and the underlying ifc data, like moving things in the outliner or duplicating objects. What steps did you take exactly before it started going haywire ?

• @Gorgious said:
    In my experience some operations might loose the links between blender objects and the underlying ifc data, like moving things in the outliner or duplicating objects. What steps did you take exactly before it started going haywire ?

That's the problem, was not sure what I did. Obviously I clicked on something, or had something turned off in a collection. Have managed to get the import to a stable state where I have now been able to work through the geometry cleaning up stuff so Blender will be happy with quads and all.

Obviously I have jumped in with my usual optimistic "It'll just work" but clearly I need to brush up a bit on my IFC schema knowledge. Am pretty sure that my underlying Revit file is probably archaic by modern standards (think from cira 2006-2008) so am sure there is stuff that was not set up correctly to today's standards and all.

Can see that I have stepped onto another learning curve. But it looks like it will be an exciting journey ahead

• @sceyefeye it would be incredibly valuable if you can help pinpoint the errors you're finding. They are hard to discover, but slowly being fixed. Also make sure you're using the unstable releases which are much improved from the stable releases: https://blenderbim.org/docs/devs/installation.html - that might suddenly fix a bunch of issues.

Basically pay close attention to what you're doing, and if something happens, try to recreate it on a fresh file load. Keep saving regularly. As soon as you can recreate it, file a bug with step by step instructions so we can fix it :)

• @Moult am doing my best. first time really digging into Blender and BIM/IFC (previously have used Archipack a lot - but want to make a "clean IFC" project. Figure that playing with nuts and bolts will better help me understand all of this.

Of course when I encounter a problem I will report/query/resolve it and post feeback

Moult