Blender cube to IFC

I would like to try an alternative method to create energy models in Blender and thought I start as simple as possible. I would like to convert the default Blender cube to an IFC 2x3-file with floor, roof and walls and the volume as a IFCSpace and wonder how you would do this? I also need to add an IFC Floor.

/Max

Comments

• You can use ladybug tools to do energy analysis:
    https://community.osarch.org/discussion/218/
    I haven't used it but people on that thread are more familiar
    In the case of making an IFC space you can just classify the cube as an IFC space nd it should treat the floor like a floor the roof like a roof etc,

• this might be a job for TOPOLOGIC! @topologic may be able to give you some directions

topologicAce
  • The reason I want to use IFC is that this is the default format for the energy simulation tool IDA ICE. As far as I know Ladybug can not use IFC, only HBJson and gbXML. I will try to classify the cube as an IFCSpace and see if that is enough. The next step will be to add windows and doors as well.

• Just creating an IFCSpace was not enough so I need at least walls, roof and a floor as well. I suspect a single object in Blender can not be assign to diffrent IFCClasses so I made a copy of the cube, deleted the roof and floor and assigned this as wall and plan to do the same for roof and floor but I am not sure if this is how to do it and if these objects need a thickness or not. Hopefully not. I also think I need building element construction type but I think this could be generic since I am overriding it in the building simulation tool. As usual, I would be grateful for any help.

• @Max said:
    The reason I want to use IFC is that this is the default format for the energy simulation tool IDA ICE. As far as I know Ladybug can not use IFC, only HBJson and gbXML. I will try to classify the cube as an IFCSpace and see if that is enough. The next step will be to add windows and doors as well.

@Max. This is all been done and available, but you are already familiar with Topologic (I gave you the script), BlenderBIM, homemaker, ifcOpenShell, BIM2BEM. So I am surprised you are still struggling with this. Is it that you want to create a solution with no dependencies other than Blender?

• MaxMax
    edited August 2022

Yes, I would like to be able to create this with just Blender and BlenderBIM, at least right now.

• @Max said:
    Yes, I would like to be able to create this with just Blender and BlenderBIM, at least right now.

Ok. Best wishes.

• Thanks, so far I have manged to get most of the information to IDA ICE so it looks very easy and hopefully I can script most of the steps.