[IFC] Ifc only an exchange format?

My work colleagues see IFC only as an exchange format. I think otherwise, but I had no good arguments in mind to refute it.

What do you think? Do you think IFC can be more than just an exchange format?

Tagged:

Comments

• Your coworkers, like 99.9% of designers in the AEC industry at the moment, are using tools (i.e. Revit) that don't fully support saving (exporting) to IFC and/or reading (importing) from IFC. Even if the software has certifications for certain MVDs. The reality is that a minimal part of the schema is supported, and most of the time some work is required to set up class mappings and shared parameters...

But on the other hand, the IFC schema is pretty exhaustive across all disciplines, including not only geometry, but 4D, 5D and 6D... BlenderBIM is an example of IFC used as a native format. Its existence, even at its current pre-beta stage, is already a pretty strong argument in favour of IFC as a native format!

So, what's really happening here is that Revit (and others) do not work well with IFCs, which is in itself a problem of Revit, not of the IFC schema ;)

See this supervideo from Dion for more info:

GorgiousCoentheoryshawAcebrunopostleMartin156131
  • edited October 2022

What do you think? Do you think IFC can be more than just an exchange format?

Please watch this, best short explanations ever about IFC from buildingsmart itself.

And this clip illustrates what is technically possible with IFC:

theoryshawAcebasweinMartin156131vpajic
  • What is this VSet in @Moult 's video at 47:00 ? Visualisation of sensor data?
    a link?
    Thanks.

• Thank you all for your inputs :)