Blender BIM UI and workflow

edited October 2022 in General

Hi,
Very interested and pleased to see an open BIM project. I veey much hope it succeeds.
I have used Archicad/BIM software for the last 25 years, in my opinion the UI and workflow are absolutely essential to the success of this open bim project. I hope there is a way to modify the UI so that it is not the same as the Blender UI. This is because Architecture/BIM workflow is very different from Blender/3D workflow. Just my 2 cents.

Comments

• @strawbale23 the UI of the BlenderBIM Add-on has changed significantly and many times since it first started (which is one of the reasons we do not have good tutorials). The latest iteration has modeling tools that are increasingly similar to existing proprietary BIM solutions which will lead to a lower barrier to adoption. It would be great if you could join in testing the latest unstable releases and providing feedback. https://blenderbim.org/docs/devs/installation.html#unstable-installation

strawbale23AcetlangChubbyQuarkbitacovir
  • It would be good to open this discussion again. The BB Add-on has moved on so much and now offers so many features inside a single, awseome 3d package.

There are some simple, blender specific UI tweaks which can improve a focused buidling design workflow but dedicated tool bars, property areas and editors are needed.

It would be good to understand what is possible and desirable within the Blender environment for users?

• I'd personally like to start building things outside the Blender interface. There are certain things the Blender interface is shockingly bad at, like spreadsheets, gantt charts, BCF issue management with comment threads, and 2D drawing layout. Sooner or later I expect some form of web UI that works alongside Blender.

Max
  • MaxMax
    edited February 2023

I am very happy to hear that I am not alone thinking that there are things Blender is bad at. After a year of usage things that are trivial in Revit or ArchiCAD takes me forever to do in Blender/BlenderBIM.

• It's also worthwhile noting that as we first built basic authoring functionality, the UI catered to very "low-level" editing. This is naturally not a pleasant user experience. However, over time, the UI has slowly been changing to be more high-level, and existing UIs were rebuilt and reimagined, so I expect it to continue to evolve.

• @Moult said:
    I'd personally like to start building things outside the Blender interface. There are certain things the Blender interface is shockingly bad at, like spreadsheets, gantt charts, BCF issue management with comment threads, and 2D drawing layout. Sooner or later I expect some form of web UI that works alongside Blender.

Sounds interesting, would a web UI working alongside Blender be a cloud app.? There has also been the recent announcement for Blender apps., which could lend itself to building a dedicated user experience but I assume the customisation of the UI will still be limited to what is exposed through the API?

Dedictaed spaces for data tables, drawing generation/reviews and authoring would be great.