Proposed Grading in IFC

I have an IFC file (that came from Revit originally). It has an existing surface layer. I am doing a grading plan and would like to add the proposed grading surface in BlenderBIM. Does anyone know how I should classify that in the IFC?

Comments

• IfcSite maybe?

It gets confusing with the spatial elements since there doesn't seem to be an IfcTopology
    If all else fails, IfcBuildingElementProxy is the 'generic model' of Ifc

• Thanks @Ace. That is where the existing site surface is.
    Here is a screen shot of how that is set up.

But I don't want to just replace the existing site surface with the proposed site because it is important to have it for as a reference.
    I can see that in this roads example they put fill as a ifcGeomodel an then ifcEarthworksCut but IfcRoads are very new and I would assume that this is an old problem with a standard solution.

Ace
  • @baswein said:
    Thanks @Ace. That is where the existing site surface is.
    Here is a screen shot of how that is set up.

But I don't want to just replace the existing site surface with the proposed site because it is important to have it for as a reference.
    I can see that in this roads example they put fill as a ifcGeomodel an then ifcEarthworksCut but IfcRoads are very new and I would assume that this is an old problem with a standard solution.

I think that sounds like a plan, if you think that could work for you I would say do it.
    While it's a standard thing I think the rules haven't been followed too much since Ifc is treated mainly as an exchange format, Revit will call a floor a wall and a staircase a floor if it wants to, but in Native Ifc it's fairly new ground as far as I can tell, so whatever workflow works I say use it until further notice

• I'd say IfcGeographicElement - whether it is existing or proposed is a status property, and should not affect the class of object.

Ace
  • Thanks @Moult and @theoryshaw - I'll take a look at IFCGeographicElement and see how it works.