If you're reading this, we've just migrated servers! If anything looks broken please email dion@thinkmoult.com :)

IDS in BlenderBIM

edited November 2022 in General

Has anyone tried to run the buildingsmart example to check with ids in blenderbim? I tried to run the test ids file and it gave error:

Tagged:

Comments

• thank you @Moult ! I look forward to meeting you in person at the BIM AEC expo!

• When and where is that? who knows..

• @lukas hehe actually neither do I! @c4rlosdias what BIM AEC expo are you referring to? I will be in the Gold Coast 26-28th Nov for BILT ANZ 2022, is that what you're referring to?

• Ah I won't be there in person unfortunately @c4rlosdias - I am overseas for the next 2 weeks and could only provide an old recording to be played during that event, also due to the timezone issues (it'll be midnight at my time slot) I'll be asleep during the actual event :(

So sorry, if you're ever down in Australia let me know. If anybody else is in Korea or the Gold Coast let me know too.

• It's really a pity! but I think there will be other opportunities in the future!

• Hi all,

I ran into problems when trying to test IFC validation with IDS in BBIM. I figured I'll continue this thread instead of starting a new one.
    When testing very simple IDS files (links bellow), one created with usBIM software and another example from the IDS github, BBIM reports a problem that "minOccurs attribute is not allowed for the element". As I am not familiar with IDS or XML structure, it seems to me the problem is on the BBIM side, because similar problem occurs with IDS form two sources. Could someone more knowledgeable please confirm this or point out what I am missing?

This is the error when using the gtihub example:

The IDS file created with usBIM, which creates similar error: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Arsa_KlV4VjQlDL4jW5R6Dwg-lrs?e=dhGGPa

Tested with blenderbim-230922-py310-win and blenderbim-230902-py310-win.

Tom

• In this case I believe BBIM is correct and usBIM/IDS github needs updating. IDS is still slowly changing and so vendors (including us) take a while to keep up. In this case, a slightly controversial change was made to the attribute facet see here and here and it is still pending to know what should happen to it. But at the moment in time, attributes cannot have a "minOccurs" or "maxOccurs" attribute. If you edit the IDS file to remove those two attribute for attributes, it will work.

Ace
  • Thank you @Moult , removing the minOccurs and maxOccurs from attribute did the trick and now the validation works.

• ACCA IDS Editor has already been updated!

• @c4rlosdias said:
    ACCA IDS Editor has already been updated!

Great! I just tested creating specification with usBIM by ACCA and I confirm the IDS has been bumped to version 0.9.6 and the IDS file gets validated by BlenderBIM out of the box without the need to tinker with it.

• edited October 2023

hi everybody, i'm using BB231005 in windows. I created a simple .ifc and .ids file, then i exported the results in a .bcf file. When i visualize the bcf viewports i noticed that the elements turn off from the view. Is it normal? Thanks

• @Bimlooser said:
    hi everybody, i'm using BB231005 in windows. I created a simple .ifc and .ids file, then i exported the results in a .bcf file. When i visualize the bcf viewports i noticed that the elements turn off from the view. Is it normal? Thanks

I tried opening BCF project in BBIM and confirm, that when I have entities in selection and activate a BCF Viewpoint, the selected entities are automatically hidden. I don't know, whether this is the desired behavior. It is quite easy to unhide all with Alt+H to have all of the entities visible though.
    When I have nothing selected and activate a BCF Viewpoint, nothing is hidden by this action.

• @Bimlooser said:

I reported the behavior of the BCF Viewpoint you described and this bug has been fixed:
    https://github.com/IfcOpenShell/IfcOpenShell/issues/4031
    Kudos to BBIM developers!

• edited November 2023

@semhustej said:
    Kudos to BBIM developers!

Always.
    Thanks @semhustej