[Wiki] IFC materials

I might not have a clear enough knowledge on materials yet to fill full IFC materials wiki page but do you think adding this diagram might be helpful to give an overview of how a material can be set in IFC ?
(Source file is made with drawio if someone want to enhance it)

Nothing yet about IfcStyledItem very much used in Revit/DDS-CAD according to blenderbim source code as I am currently focusing on thermal properties which are only stored in associated IfcMaterialSelect.

Side note : Why forum do not accept svg ? Could it be enabled ?

bitacovirJesusbillMoultLarscarlopav

Comments

• edited July 2020

That diagram correctly shows how to set materials! It's a very good diagram.

The thing about IfcStyledItem is that it is not meant to be used as materials. The fact that Revit/DDS-CAD (and others) do so has led to so much confusion in the industry. In IFC, materials and colour are two separate concepts. That is one of the problems I find with IFC - since most people treat colour = material. As a result, that diagram only describes how to set a material ... then you'll need another diagram (which handles IfcStyledItem to describe how to set a colour (which may or may not correspond with the material assignment - to add to the confusion!) The diagram below should be used to describe colours.

carlopav
  • @Moult Apparently I don't have rights to upload a file. I have no "Upload File" under Tools. May I have a promotion ;-)

• @Cyril done. You now have upload rights!

• The picture is so beautiful and clear!I think it is better than the similar one from IFC documentation

• @Cyril Why there're two IfcMaterialProfileSetUsage?
    I decided to ignore IFC, the industry doesn't need IFC :)

magicalcloud_75
  • @ReD_CoDE said:
    @Cyril Why there're two IfcMaterialProfileSetUsage?

You know, do some research based on IFC may create lots of publications in many research groups~~

• edited July 2020

@shanmama I don't talk about "average" experts who don't know about current conditions, current problems/challenges and the future

Many do academic and practical research but it doesn't mean all know enough about their industry

I don't care about noobs

• @ReD_CoDE said:
    @Cyril Why there're two IfcMaterialProfileSetUsage?

Good catch the second one is IfcMaterialProfileSet instead. Wiki version is fixed. Thanks.

IFC is in use in the industry and will still be in use for a long time. But if you found something better then work on it or with it and prove your point rather than trying to convince people which disagree. Some people strongly believe in what Speckle is trying to do. Some people strongly believe in generative design, some other on something else. I am staying open to things around but for example I don't think IFC alone or Speckle alone is THE solution as both group worked on different aspects.

Many do academic and practical research but it doesn't mean all know enough about their industry
    I don't care about noobs

Don't act like a condescending jerk. We all live in different part of the world with different particularities. Most people on this forum have been working in AEC industry for long time. Many are on the cutting edge in their own domain and area. As everyone (and I of course include myself) you need to remember that there is largely more thing you don't know than the opposite.

@Moult said:
    @Cyril done. You now have upload rights!

Thanks. svg seems to be unsupported either on wiki and forum. On wiki it apparently requires an additional setup. On forum no idea.

ReD_CoDE
  • There're some schemas/file formats that call themselves a bridge between different schemas/formats, for instance, IFC, but today with the existing technologies/methodologies available, they become "useless"
    I'd be happy to see how some schemas/file formats like IFC could survive?
    Especially when almost all have started to develop their own solutions for interoperability and roughly nobody needs an interface format file like IFC which has a lot of issues, that I explained just some of them here:
    https://github.com/IfcXtreme/IfcXtreme

• Thx @Cyril , really helpful!

• edited July 2020

I added some typical usages to IFC materials wiki page.

JesusbillReD_CoDEcarlopav
  • @Cyril thanks for the suggestions! I've updated the forum and wiki to support upload of SVG and IFC now :)

A note on material profile set. It is most commonly used in structural members - I have never seen it used on rebar before. You might also want to mention the most basic case which is assignment of a single material without using layers / profiles / constituent sets.

• edited July 2020

@Moult said:
    @Cyril thanks for the suggestions! I've updated the forum and wiki to support upload of SVG and IFC now :)

Great I will update files as svg versions contains links to ifc documentation.

A note on material profile set. It is most commonly used in structural members - I have never seen it used on rebar before. You might also want to mention the most basic case which is assignment of a single material without using layers / profiles / constituent sets.

It was the one I was less confident about 😄. Ifc documentation is less clear to me on this one. Do you have a sample which use profile set efficiently?
    I hesitated to add direct IfcMaterial use case as I thought it was referenced as fallback in ifc documentation but it is actually written :

As a fallback, or in cases where only a single material information is needed

I will add it.

• edited July 2020

@Moult right now does IfcOpenShell support the whole material area?
    Can you share a small MVD or package that contains all materials and its presentation and placement, ...?

• @ReD_CoDE IfcOpenShell supports all of it, yes. The BlenderBIM Add-on supports almost all, there are probably some more obscure usages of custom profiles which I've missed.

I think when it comes around to it, @theoryshaw will be creating tests for materials, that would be a good time to prepare them.

ReD_CoDE
  • edited July 2020

@Moult @Cyril @theoryshaw would you please inform me when tests were ready?