Working in Blender

I am using Blender quite often to edit geometry based upon BIM-models, usually IFC, Speckle and dotBIM but find the interface difficult since the facades tend to hide a lot of the information and it is difficult to get a grasp of large models. I have tried to use hide/show, use section cuts and change transparency but it still difficult and I wonder what commands, tools, settings and plugins you use?

Comments

• The plugin I find most useful is:
    Cad transform addon: (adds cad like movement and control)
    https://blender-archipack.gumroad.com/l/nQVcS

Otherwise a well organised model is the most useful tool for me (even though I fail at that often)

When importing sketchup and revit ifc's I often recategorise the groups, classes,etc aswell because it comes in quite messy, but only as I am going through it not all at once.

It's a slow process but it works out when you get used to it

• Saved selection groups might help...

Ace
  • Saved groups was a great feature, thanks a lot!

• edited January 2023

Cool. That now begs the question, if selection IFC groups can be linked from one file to another? Similar how you import assets via the IFC Project Library.
    @vpajic, Would be sad if we couldn't import these glorious selection groups into other files. ;)

• edited January 2023

Since the query syntax is a character string (AFAIK), we could implement a way to selectively store them in the addon properties so they are available in all blend files. It would need to also store the query name or additional information I guess, to remember what it does ?

Max
  • In my opinion this function is the answer to all the questions about scene organisation and more. It's a solution I proposed years ago for archicad and I'm really excited we have it in bbim now.
    All we need now is a better ui and we can use it to control displaying of construction phases, levels, renovations and much more.

• I just wanted to add that I found change color and make objects non selectable is also useful.