BlenderBIM in university curriculum

Hi guys!
It was a long time since my last post here.
This semester I have finally introduced - on experimental mode - openBIM and BlenderBIM to my engineering students. For the next year, after two iterations I do hope the course will be more mature adding an elective course to the compulsory one. We had been worked with Revit since 2012 and BlenderBIM is bringing another level of expectation and excitement here at Federal University of Viçosa in Brazil.
I would like to know, who else is using BlenderBIM as teaching tool for BIM within universities.
Thanks in advance!

cvillagrasaNigelOwura_quCyrilbitacovirAceArvMoultchachi_ws

Comments

• edited May 2023

@Marcus said:.
    I would like to know, who else is using BlenderBIM as teaching tool for BIM within universities.

I am a faculty member at Department of Horticulture where I teach Landscape Design and Management at my University. I have managed to start teaching BlenderGIS this semester and they love it:). However I am trying to figure out how best BlenderBIM could be integrated for planting design. I have a colleague who is a faculty member at the Architecture department and I have recommended BlenderBIM to him though (Dion also suggested some useful resources which I forwarded to him).
    I have also been teaching AutoCAD and Revit since 2013 but personally I would love to fully introduce BlenderBIM to my students and integrate it also into my lectures if I could find a way of using it for Landscape Design from Concept and Development to Documentation. Any ideas will be well appreciated!

Ace
  • edited May 2023

@Marcus said:
    Hi guys!
    This semester I have finally introduced - on experimental mode - openBIM and BlenderBIM to my engineering students. For the next year, after two iterations I do hope the course will be more mature adding an elective course to the compulsory one. We had been worked with Revit since 2012 and BlenderBIM is bringing another level of expectation and excitement here at Federal University of Viçosa in Brazil.
    Thanks in advance!

Can you share the course program? That will help others to implement similar initiatives. I am planning to teach FreeCAD as architecture tool in my university, too. Not as a course, but a workshop first. I'll share the program as well.

AceNigelpaullee
  • This is exciting! All the best and good luck! We're here if you need it, and please don't hesitate to submit bugs or ask for help in the chat whenever any issues come up.

By the way, you can see a list of academia that includes the BlenderBIM Add-on / IfcOpenShell in their curriculum somehow: https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=IfcOpenShell#Proprietary_projects - I've just added yours (but let me know if I should remove it)

• @Owura_qu said:

I am a faculty member at Department of Horticulture where I teach Landscape Design and Management at my University. I have managed to start teaching BlenderGIS this semester and they love it:). However I am trying to figure out how best BlenderBIM could be integrated for planting design. I have a colleague who is a faculty member at the Architecture department and I have recommended BlenderBIM to him though (Dion also suggested some useful resources which I forwarded to him).
    I have also been teaching AutoCAD and Revit since 2013 but personally I would love to fully introduce BlenderBIM to my students and integrate it also into my lectures if I could find a way of using it for Landscape Design from Concept and Development to Documentation. Any ideas will be well appreciated!

This is nice to hear because using BlenderBIM for Landscape Design is exactly one of our objectives. I do research Urban Green Spaces and although I teach Technical Drawing to Civil Engineers we are looking to use BIM on a wider scale than the building. Actually, rural properties, their facilities and even crop fields. Please @Owura_qu let me know if you have any kind of documented workshop regarding BlenderBIM in this regard!

• @bitacovir said:

@Marcus said:
    Hi guys!
    Thanks in advance!

Can you share the course program? That will help others to implement similar initiatives. I am planning to teach FreeCAD as architecture tool in my university, too. Not as a course, but a workshop first. I'll share the program as well.

For sure!
    Following is the program. It was approved by our committee last year and will officially start in March 2024. For awhile, BIM is being taught as an elective course, although Revit had already been replaced by BlenderBIM. The program is in Portuguese but basically is divided in: 1) Introduction and basic concepts. 2) BIM in Brazil, laws and national norms. 3) Interoperability 4) Parametric modeling (here we start with BlenderBIM, It is a requirement of our committee to don't bind the course with any specific software. In the case of my absence, some other professor could substitute me in the same course using his 'favourite' BIM software. The same we do for CAD classes.) 5) BIM 4D 6) BIM 5D.
    Please @bitacovir let me know your opinion!

bitacovir
  • @Moult said:
    This is exciting! All the best and good luck! We're here if you need it, and please don't hesitate to submit bugs or ask for help in the chat whenever any issues come up.

By the way, you can see a list of academia that includes the BlenderBIM Add-on / IfcOpenShell in their curriculum somehow: https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=IfcOpenShell#Proprietary_projects - I've just added yours (but let me know if I should remove it)

Hey @Moult thanks by adding us! It has been a pleasurable (and sometimes tricky) experience dealing with BlenderBIM in a university course. I am also learning together with my students! It is the first iteration and I told the guys they are my absolute guinea pigs. In the second semester I will conduct a closed workshop to my research group members (we will use BlenderBIM, Ifc.js and IfcOpenShell as BIM tools) and a second workshop at the 'Engineering Week' in September. I hope to have a booklet and some videos in Portuguese done around March 2024, when we'll have a full BlenderBIM based BIM class.

• @bitacovir I forgot to mention about the list of references. It is also an institutional requirement to have at least 3 book titles as basic references, and so far, as we do not have any in Portuguese about BlenderBIM (I think it is too early), I just summarized some Revit titles available on our library.

bitacovir
  • @Marcus said:

This is nice to hear because using BlenderBIM for Landscape Design is exactly one of our objectives. I do research Urban Green Spaces and although I teach Technical Drawing to Civil Engineers we are looking to use BIM on a wider scale than the building. Actually, rural properties, their facilities and even crop fields. Please @Owura_qu let me know if you have any kind of documented workshop regarding BlenderBIM in this regard!

@Marcus I do not have any documents on BlenderBIM for now. I am still a newbie and trying to navigate around how BlenderBIM could be integrated into landscape and planting design. If you come across any useful approach kindly share with me.

• @Owura_qu let's learn it together. I'm pretty much a noob in BlenderBIM but as soon I reach a beginner level I want to explore it for landscape architecture and urban design. Have no idea about the limitations of BB in this regard thought. I saw a thread discussing CityJSON and IFC but I do think we are referring to some scale between the building and the city.

• @Marcus said:
    @Owura_qu let's learn it together. I'm pretty much a noob in BlenderBIM but as soon I reach a beginner level I want to explore it for landscape architecture and urban design. Have no idea about the limitations of BB in this regard thought. I saw a thread discussing CityJSON and IFC but I do think we are referring to some scale between the building and the city.

@Marcus Sure. As newbies we need to keep an eye on the progress and where possible share our knowledge. Will share something when I am able to find and streamline BB for landscape and planting design.

Marcus
  • @Marcus said:

I think it is very complete. I would suggest a short introduction to Open Source BIM ecosystem. Just to mention what current alternatives are under development and what they can do: BlenderBIM, FreeCAD, IFC.js IfcOpenShell.

• @bitacovir said:

@Marcus said:

I think it is very complete. I would suggest a short introduction to Open Source BIM ecosystem. Just to mention what current alternatives are under development and what they can do: BlenderBIM, FreeCAD, IFC.js IfcOpenShell.

@Marcus Wow...BlenderBIM, FreeCAD, IFC.js IfcOpenShell. These I guess are the "Turing Complete" of OpenBIM in AEC ?