Grid Lines question

Is it OK to edit gridlines to make them vertical as they are good for construction lines for placing windows and doors in elevation. Will it wreck my IFC file?

Comments

• answered my own question :) the test IFC file wouldn't open in BBIM (that's a shame) but it did open in online IfcOpenShell viewer.

• I think it's allowed to use them as '''elevation lines'''. From the Buildingsmart documentation.

IfcGrid ia a planar design grid defined in 3D space used as an aid in locating structural and design elements. The position of the grid (ObjectPlacement) is defined by a 3D coordinate system (and thereby the design grid can be used in plan, section or in any position relative to the world coordinate system). The position can be relative to the object placement of other products or grids. The XY plane of the 3D coordinate system is used to place the grid axes, which are 2D curves (for example, line, circle, arc, polyline).

The inherited attributes Name and Description can be used to define a descriptive name of the grid and to indicate the grid's purpose. A grid is defined by (normally) two, or (in case of a triangular grid) three lists of grid axes. The following figures shows some examples.

https://standards.buildingsmart.org/IFC/DEV/IFC4_2/FINAL/HTML/schema/ifcproductextension/lexical/ifcgrid.htm

Nigel
  • @Coen do you think the following snip means the gridlines must be drawn on the XY plane, it doesn't quite say that explicitly but I think that is what it means?

• @Nigel

I interpreted that text differently, I think you're allowed whatever you like. But it seems most IFC viewers won't show them. The only free available IFC viewer I know which shows IfcGrid is BIMVision.

Nigel