If you're reading this, we've just migrated servers! If anything looks broken please email dion@thinkmoult.com :)

Computational Design

Computational Design is a really popular topic in many architectural office, but we don't have a software category for it. I suggest we should - but I personally know very little about it. What do we know of that has strong functionality for Computational Design? Dynamo, Topological, Speckle, RHoM?
I'm thinking our software list is starting to break down - we really need tags instead of separate lists. Make sense?

Comments

• You can add a simple list in the wiki, and each software page can be given various categories. Then you can display all pages belonging to a single category.

As for computational design, in FreeCAD you can use a Pyflow-based Node editor, which is still under development; node editor - pyflow. It's been thought to be useful in architecture for building complex surfaces with a few parameters.

• @vocx yeah, I'm guessing categories is the way to go too. There are quite a few categories already https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=Special:Categories
    pyflow looks interesting, reminds me we need to add some kind of of 'software maturity level' indicator...

• edited August 2020

@duncan said:
    Computational Design is a really popular topic in many architectural office, but we don't have a software category for it. I suggest we should - but I personally know very little about it. What do we know of that has strong functionality for Computational Design? Dynamo, Topological, Speckle, RHoM?
    I'm thinking our software list is starting to break down - we really need tags instead of separate lists. Make sense?

The original idea of those lists was to represent the stages of a workflow. Therefore, anyone could see what tools could be useful for different tasks.. The lists are implying some kind of suggestions to explore for users in their routine work. I not sure if tags could replace this friendly orientation for beginners. Therefore, for any change, I would suggest to keep in some way a classification that referrers to architecture workflow.