AEC open-source software developing guidelines?

So the VFX industry got this website, that specifies a set of tool and library versions to be used as a common target platform for building software and they also have this foundation that supports open-source projects.

Is there something similar in the AEC sector? At least a platform that also specifies tools and library version? Or is there no need for that?

The VFX industry had problems building their pipeline, so they got a need for a platform that specifies tools and library version. I am not sure if there is such a problem in the AEC sector.

Ace

Comments

• Practically, pick your poison of Autodesk or Bentley as long as you stay in their walled garden. Not a satisfying answer, though. I think the open source space in AEC is still in its infancy and real community projects that handle different stages of production and are used together aren't so varied that toes are being stubbed on tool chain versions.

• We definitely need something like this

• The website you linked to is rather technical in detail, and I think this goes above the heads of most BIM implementers in companies - who don't actually create pipelines like the VFX houses, but rather simply select off-the-shelf software and describe workflows. There are some exceptions to this, like where I work where we do build custom software and have CI-style workflows and pipelines that sequentially go across disciplines that enrich data, but it's definitely not common. I'd say our industry is still at its infancy technology wise.

I'd say the closest thing AEC has to that foundation website is OSArch :)

NigelAce