BBIM 4D resource schedule import csv

Hi @SigmaDimensions
to understand the way a resource schedule is organized, I tried to use your 3D.ifc file and import the resource spreadsheet (both from your wesite) as shown at 12:00 of your BIM 4D Crash Course video on YouTube, but it returns an error "Key Error: Activity/Resource Name"

Unfortunately the OSArch wiki does not provide further info on it yet and I don't know other sources to consult.
How is the resource csv parsed by BBIM? does it need a specific arrangement of headers and hierarchy to be imported in Resources? Does it need to replicate some existing arrangement from the Work Schedule?
How Work Schedule and Cost Schedule csv format should be prepared to be imported from the File Menu/Import?

Apologies for pestering with all of my questions but, if available, this information would be very helpful, I personally know a few people who would love to move ahead with 4D and 5D implementation in BBIM ;)
thanks a lot

Tagged:

Comments

• @steverugi
    The files posted by @SigmaDimensions work without any problems.
    Can you provide more information/context?

• edited November 2023

Hi @rfdiaz thanks for your reply
    please see error message

I tried to load the resource file (in .ods format converted using Excel to .csv) on both 3D.ifc and 4D.ifc, all available from web site www.consult-bim.com/courses, with and without initial setting of work plan/schedule. I even tried to import it into a blank IFC file.
    It would be very helpful if some basic guideline/principles were shared to indicate how a resource csv file needs to be prepared in the first place, trying to reverse-engineer the one by @SigmaDimensions doesn't seem to work out in my experience.
    Perhaps another overly simplified example could be of help? I am thinking of 1 slab + 1 wall and the sequence to import 2 resources Concrete and Masons and, possibly, allocate them to an imported work schedule (I tried to use an xml file exported from ProjectLibre which didn't work either), I attach a IFC file for some good soul who wants to take on this task..

I am aware of the direct correspondence between the csv structure and the one in 4D.ifc/Resources, are there other prerequisites necessary for me to be able to import a csv resources file? Like in the Construction Scheduling? can it be imported in a blank IFC project without elements or else? Lots of questions, I know, but I am in the dark here.

Being able to use BlenderBim with cost and work scheduling is for my category (QS/Planner) a game changer, it might be kind of niche business for many but where I am (Ghana) could really make a difference.
    I am using the 231104 version with 3.6.5
    thanks for any help, cheers

• Like you I have great hopes for this project. Thanks for posting your question. Let's try to bring some light for you, me, and for many that are too shy to ask their questions. Let me see if I am following you:

Original Question

The error is triggered when importing the resource CSV file. Yes/no?
    I am guessing that you modified the original csv file, trying to figure out how it works. If so, could you elaborate on this or share the modified version.

Documentation/Examples

I agree that there's room for improvement, but this is a task for us, we should help in this endeavor. Let's use the your example to document the steps, and more importantly your questions, as those will help others with their learning curve. Some IFC terms don't correlate well with their project control counterparts; and this is an area where practitioners, like you, me, and many others, can help with.
    My time zone is EST, let's schedule a virtual meeting to go over this.

steverugiMassimo
  • edited November 2023

Hi @rfdiaz

The error is triggered when importing the resource CSV file. Yes/no?
    I am guessing that you modified the original csv file, trying to figure out how it works. If so, could you elaborate on this or share the modified version.

The answer is YES
    I did not modify the original file, only opened and saved it in .csv format using Excel, please let me know if you have a different approach since the original file is in .ods format and the import accepts only .csv

I agree that there's room for improvement, but this is a task for us, we should help in this endeavor. Let's use the your example to document the steps, and more importantly your questions, as those will help others with their learning curve. Some IFC terms don't correlate well with their project control counterparts; and this is an area where practitioners, like you, me, and many others, can help with.
    My time zone is EST, let's schedule a virtual meeting to go over this.

Super! I truly appreciate your support, and will be happy to contribute whenever possible to this community.
    I am on GMT and will make time for our call, at your convenience, thanks a lot

• hey @steverugi , really sorry, I've been stretched thin the past couple of weeks.
    The error suggest the csv import can't find the column with header named "ACTIVITY/RESOURCE NAME". This shouldn't happen if you're using the correct template - here's the .ods attached here that you should save as .csv.
    Let me know if you still have an issue, otherwise we can screenshare to get to the bottom of this

steverugi
  • Hi @SigmaDimensions

The error suggest the csv import can't find the column with header named "ACTIVITY/RESOURCE NAME". This shouldn't happen if you're using the correct template - here's the .ods attached here that you should save as .csv.

This time I exported your .ods to .csv in Excel instead of simply saving it as .csv, and it worked on your 3D.ifc file! God knows why I hadn't tried it before but they both look exactly the same (including the header named "ACTIVITY...") , soon I will start doing some customization to understand its structure to properly implement it in my workflow, thanks a bunch.

• Glad it worked @steverugi ! The columns are set in stone at the moment. If you see any improvements, I invite you to make changes and I can implement those. You can either send me a revised .csv or directly edit the one here on github with a pull request

• Using a localized version of Excel often picks another symbol to act as separator in comma separated value files. As German tradionally uses the comma to delimit decimal places, Excel reverts to semicolons when saving in .csv format. I think this happens in French and Italian as well. Looking at csv files is probably done best using a simple editor, ie. emacs, vi, windows notepad. If need be you can search and replace whatever is off.

• Hi @wmi

Using a localized version of Excel often picks another symbol to act as separator in comma separated value files. As German tradionally uses the comma to delimit decimal places, Excel reverts to semicolons when saving in .csv format. I think this happens in French and Italian as well. Looking at csv files is probably done best using a simple editor, ie. emacs, vi, windows notepad. If need be you can search and replace whatever is off.

Yes, good point but I am not sure it's my case
    using the same .ods file I opend it in Excel and saved as .csv using the normal save as option (it doesn't work with BB), instead if I export it everything works fine
    out of curiosity I run the cmd command fc in terminal and it turns out that just saving it adds a funny character (see outfile.txt attached) at the top
    Best

• @steverugi
    Did you made that .ods file with Excel or LibreOffice?. I often had the experience Excel would create an invalid XML which is basicly the .ods file. I would advise you to LibreOffice if that is the case.

• edited November 2023

Hi @Coen

Did you made that .ods file with Excel or LibreOffice?. I often had the experience Excel would create an invalid XML which is basicly the .ods file. I would advise you to LibreOffice if that is the case.

It was the file made by @SigmaDimensions I downloaded from his website
    I have Office 365 in English, as mentioned earlier it wasn't working due to having used in Excel save as (.csv) instead of export option, now it's fine and I can import the .csv file with resources, I also changed values here and there and all is imported accordingly.
    I haven't figured out how to make use of resources in the costing process but Rome wasn't built in 1 day :D

rfdiaz
  • The files were made by libre office. So maybe you saved them in excel ?

I've briefly explained how resources are used in costing in the 4D crash course video - did you miss that?

• edited November 2023

@SigmaDimensions

The files were made by libre office. So maybe you saved them in excel ?

the format is now sorted out, my problem was in saving from .ods to .csv, when using Excel the correct way is to use the export option

I've briefly explained how resources are used in costing in the 4D crash course video - did you miss that?

I've been binge watching your videos several times over to catch any hint to let me understand the whole process, so far this is what I learned (I use an ultra-simplified example with just a small slab):

after selecting the slab and press shift+Q to extract the quantities, select NetVolume I can add the quantity component to the BoQ

from here if I just want to manually add a rate (like you did in your video) I go to edit cost item then click on the disk Enable Editing Cost Value Item and set a fixed rate amount to use it in the BoQ as below:

so far so good

But what if, since I have resources to play with, I would like the rate to be extracted from them instead of doing it manually?
    I thought I'd add a resource C25/30 as material used in casting the slab. The issue now is:

How do I get BB associate a material cost to compute it in the BoQ together with the relevant quantity? Unlike workmanship materials do not work as output, so I use a fixed amount, like this:

then, with the slab and resource selected I go to the Cost Item Quantities hoping to just click on the Resources to somehow use it to assign the value (rate) I just added to the BoQ but here is where the story stops:

what am I doing wrong? I just need the rate to be set into the resource per unit and use it in the BoQ, of course by the time I understand the whole process I can add other components in the Resource Schedule like labor, equipment, to be used in a specific task to be later assign it to the Work Schedule (next)

Thanks for everything, truly amazing the assistance I receive on this platform, I am very grateful

rfdiaz
  • OK, maybe I went somewhere today
    after randomly poking here and there I tried the Schedule of Rates and, obviously it gave me some result, for some reason I was not able to figure it out earlier, it's a long way to go I guess but I do not desist.

1. create a Schedule or Rates from the Cost Schedule pane clicking on the + button
    2. I enter the items in the same way I did in the Boq, this time only one field is available, and click the disk
    3. I now have an option to enter an amount, I set the value and click + Add Value
    4. Now I edit the unit by clicking on the pencil icon
    5. I enter the AppliedValue and UnitBasisUnit and close clicking on the check mark next to the x
    6. I repeat the process for the wall and I get the schedule:
    7. Finally I go back to my BoQ and select the item, open Cost Item Rates and use the Schedule or Rates just created, select the item and click on the arrow toward the folder icon
    8. and voilà I now have a rate against a quantity !

If one day @SigmaDimensions had the chance to go through this I would like to understand if what I did is OK or there are other ways more kosher than this

thanks

• edited November 2023

One more thing...
    it would be nice if there were a way to import a .csv file with a schedule of rates, I exported the simple one and tried to import it back but didn't work. I also tried with the one available in the Github folder, same.
    I can import the bill of quantities sample_cost_schedule_house_FR.csv from the same site though
    Thanks anyway