Thermal and visual simulations in Blender

It was a bit of work but now I can set up and run IDA ICE thermal and visual simulations from Blender based on IFC, Speckle or plain geometry. Not sure if it is a good idea but it might be useful. The result shows useful daylight based upon a radiosity.

Tagged:
CyrilGorgiousatomkarincabitacovirvictorklixtoAce

Comments

• This looks really promessing for visualization of results Max! Is it your Ice Bridge plugin? i take it you run it in IDA ICE, and export it to Blender? Or is this a simelar simulation as VI-Suite?

• Yes, it is a version of ICEBridge were I can set, run and visualize the whole process from Blender. Still, I prefer doing some of the parts in IDA ICE since that interface have a lot of features that I will not spend time replicating.

Ole_Marius_Svendsen
  • Sounds really promessing, will make sure to find some time to experiment with this. I do like the fact that it seems the result file format for daylight studies can be imported in. My experience with the VI-Suite it crashed my one drive as it made thousands of ray trace material in a folder, thus slowing down all other work progresses as i could not download them. So running in IDA ICE is something i do see the benefit from.

Any how..

Will the display of results be numerically visible in Blender? And if yes, also as tables, or do we still need to export the results into excel and have both blender visual results up + excel?

• MaxMax
    edited November 2023

Right now I add one mesh for each sensor point, sensor plane, room and building. Each of these have custom properties containing various metrics. These metrics can be aggregated upwards. For example single daylight factors can be aggregated into median values for planes and rooms and rooms can be aggregated into buildings. Since the meshes are stupid objects with just an identifier called ICEName they could be sent to Revit or some other tool using Speckle/Excel, or into IDA ICE, at least as geoemetry. I also wrote a function that writes the result on selected objects that can also be exported as a mesh. As you seen the mesh color can be changed depending on any custom property.
    I have also started to look of adding time series data like climate based daylighting and animating this in Blender but I am not sure if this is useful. Also storing this in Blender would make the files huge so it is probably better to have this information in separate CSV-files.

Ole_Marius_Svendsen