BIM pipeline BlenderBIM --> Dialux

I'm a lighting designer, and we're currently integrating a BIM pipeline into our workflow. We're facing a challenge: our lighting calculation software Dialux is extremely picky with IFC models, often requiring a much simpler model than the entire building. What would be the best way to simplify the model? Is it possible to use the ifcSpace element somehow to select only the objects within a specific space and then strip the model of all other elements?

Comments

• I think @Max had similar challenges.

• Hi @Stealthmasterflex. This is a very similar problem that I have using BIM-models (IFC) as input for thermal simulations since Dialux has roughly the same limitations as most thermal tools. Daylight tools using Radiance can use the model as it is with the exception of glass panes. Anyway, I do not use Dialux myself but my daughter is a light designer so I still have interest in solving this. Usually all we need is IfcSpaces and windows but we also need walls, slabs and roofs to get optical and thermal properties. My biggest problem is that most IFC-files from Revit or ArchiCAD have no IfcSpaces or IfcSpaces with too simple or to complex shape and it is also not obvious what level of detail you need. For thermal simulations you probably do not want columns but for light and CFD they might be important. Therefore, if I could find a way to change the level of detail of IfcSpaces and also create them based upon more or less closed volumes that would help me a lot. BlenderBim can create spaces but so far the result is far from useful for non trivial buildings.