BlenderBIM drawings becoming corrupted

Hi everyone, hopefully this is the right place for this discussion;

Working on a reasonably complex building using BlenderBIM and at few times now, I have set up a drawing, applied dimensions, space labels etc, then for reasons beyond my understanding blender/BlenderBIM throws up this message when I try to view the drawing. Following that all the information in the dimensions disappears and I need to delete the drawing and start again. Any help would be much appreciated!

Note: Blender 3.6.7 (down graded from 4.0.1 as BlenderBIM didn't seem happy with the update)
BB.V 0.0.231104-4e76f36

Ubuntu 20.04
Ryzen 9 3900x
RTX3060
64gb DDR4

Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/jonny/.config/blender/3.6/scripts/addons/blenderbim/bim/module/drawing/operator.py", line 1487, in invoke
return self.execute(context)
File "/home/jonny/.config/blender/3.6/scripts/addons/blenderbim/bim/module/drawing/operator.py", line 1496, in execute
core.activate_drawing_view(tool.Ifc, tool.Drawing, drawing=drawing)
File "/home/jonny/.config/blender/3.6/scripts/addons/blenderbim/core/drawing.py", line 429, in activate_drawing_view
drawing_tool.activate_drawing(camera)
File "/home/jonny/.config/blender/3.6/scripts/addons/blenderbim/tool/drawing.py", line 1650, in activate_drawing
current_representation = tool.Geometry.get_active_representation(obj)
File "/home/jonny/.config/blender/3.6/scripts/addons/blenderbim/tool/geometry.py", line 302, in get_active_representation
if obj.data and hasattr(obj.data, "BIMMeshProperties") and obj.data.BIMMeshProperties.ifc_definition_id:
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'data'

Comments

• Welcome. Can you share the .ifc file?

• Thanks for the welcome, and I really appreciate any time you put into looking at this.

I've found that the first floor drawing seems to be repeating the error reliably, as well as the eastern elevation.
    The ground floor (My Story) and the other drawings seem to be fine.

Cheers,
    Jonny.

• @JonnyKay hello! Can't reproduce it on the latest build (can be downloaded from github releases page) - all drawing can be activated and printed without errors.
    Can you please reload .ifc to the Blender with the latest build and try again?

down graded from 4.0.1 as BlenderBIM didn't seem happy with the update

Any particular issues with BlenderBIM and Blender 4.0? At the moment all issues should be solved except the external styles support.

• I down graded because Blender 4.0 and BB 0.0.231104 were giving me a lot of errors. Each time I would adjust a slab for example it would come up with an error, it would still complete the task, but the error would jump up each time. As well as walls randomly losing their data, requiring me to delete them and their windows, then re-create the wall.

It's starting to look a whole lot like a fundamental "me" problem.
    I'll jump back to 4.0 and the latest BB build, make sure I'm setting it all up correctly, then see how that goes.

Thanks for your help!

• It strikes again! Very strange.

I have gone back to Blender 4.0 and the latest BB plugin and the error has come back.
    I'll give it a go in a windows environment and see if that has an positive affect.
    I wonder if it's a Ubuntu thing? Perhaps it's losing it's connection to the plugin somehow?

• edited December 2023

As well as walls randomly losing their data, requiring me to delete them and their windows, then re-create the wall.

This is quite familiar and I can understand your frustration of deleting and redoing the same work again anytime such issues come up. That’s why it’s advisable to use backup systems like the IFCGit so you can conveniently rollback to the previous stable state of your file to save yourself some rework.

Today I was able to successfully complete my first IFCGit commit under the privileged guidance of @brunopostle . The achievement was so breathtaking that I don’t even remember there was an earlier hustle. So I was asking myself why is IFCGit so good and yet this so unpopular amongst the users? A very little unassuming 3-letter-word button under the Project Info panel that the majority I believe gloss over, and yet the Git button soon has become one of my favourite, and now going to be part of my standard protocols for creating projects! In my opinion Git in BBIM hasn’t obtained enough publicity to catch the attention it very much deserves and I believe a little publicity and training would encourage its mass adoption amongst users.

I highly recommend IFCGit to anyone who is ready to take up the next quantum leap in their BBIM proficiency. It’s a great milestone to achieve and users cannot afford to deny themselves of this time-saver button!

brunopostleCoenNigel