BBIM - Material resources -> Work Schedule -> rates in a Bill of Quantities | A simple workflow

A 10+ minute (!) video to showcase my current understanding of setting material resources and use them to load tasks in a Work Schedule and apply them as rate in a Bill of Quantities.

Since I don't know how to get the quantities directly from the Work Schedule I used the normal way through the Cost Schedule (BoQ), this time around I also added a reinforcement component using its usage expressed in kg/m3 of concrete.

It took me quite some efforts to get here so I thought it might be of help for those who need to be introduced to the basic procedures of cost scheduling in BBIM

here the link to the video:
material resources to BoQ

If anybody out there knows how to improve my workflow I would greatly appreciate their feedback

Thanks

PS I started using Blender Video Sequence Editor to add text, it's actually fun :D

MassimoOwura_quDarth_BlenderNigelbruno_perdigaoatomkarincaAceJohn

Comments

• @steverugi very nice, you have done a great job! Your videos are very clear and a valuable resource for people to learn! Keep going!
    I was thinking if it is possible to assign directly the resources to the cost item instead of assigning them to the task as there are no labour resources and productivity involved in this case...

• edited January 7

@Massimo said:
    @steverugi very nice, you have done a great job! Your videos are very clear and a valuable resource for people to learn! Keep going!
    I was thinking if it is possible to assign directly the resources to the cost item instead of assigning them to the task as there are no labour resources and productivity involved in this case...

Thanks
    yes it is, in fact you taught me how to do it :D
    I believe it's covered in my 4th clip I posted in my other discussion on Bill of Quantities

in my personal opinion when it comes to preparing a BoQ it's good practice to somehow link line items to tasks in a work schedule, most likely the first schedule to draft when the design is not finalized but you need to place activities in a chronological or deliverable order and spread them from inception to handing over (top-down approach)

simply put it's more practical to layout the life cycle of the project with abstract activities to be later detailed (following the design development stages from concept to final) and populated/loaded with quantities and resources

The problem with a bottom-up approach starting from construction elements is that you still need to assess elements that are not strictly related to them, like preliminary activities, time-realted costs, along with management etc..
    But I guess it's a matter of taste or how you are used to doing it, I hope it makes sense.

ciao

John