Architectural specifications on a sheet

timtim
edited January 30 in General

When documenting small-scale projects, my approach typically involves incorporating a title sheet with architectural specification notes, sectioned by discipline. I usually find this to be adequate for construction documentation and obtaining a building permit. Recently, I've contemplated creating a text-block IfcTypeProduct for each discipline, envisioning the creation of an IFC library file for all my specification sections. This would facilitate the workflow of adding specification sections to a title sheet on a project-by-project basis. However, this has sparked two questions :

1. Is it advisable at all for IFC files to serve as repositories for specification text?
  2. What would be the optimal method for storing and adding specification text to a sheet? Should it involve schedules (notably, I'm not fond of the multi-step process required to get a schedule on a sheet), or would a bank view with annotations be a more efficient alternative?

Interested to hear how others are approaching this.

Comments

• Is it advisable at all for IFC files to serve as repositories for specification text?

would seem to be a little painful to do it like this. If you entering all this info via BB, wouldn't you have to use a manual \n for every newline?
    How about just manually creating a .ODS spreadsheet with your specs and inserting the schedule onto a BB sheet?
    or..
    how about creating just a manual SVG in inkscape with a list of your specs, and then add it to a BB sheet, via References?

AcebdamaytimsteverugiMoultOwura_qu
  • Thanks @theoryshaw , I didn’t know what References were for and could be used like that.

• Agreed, for anybody reading along, the References feature is intended to reference any arbitrary document. It could be a symbol legend, a legal disclaimer stamp, site photography, etc.

timOwura_qu