BBIM | selecting IfcSpace by location (or Z value)

edited February 4 in General

to leverage on the properties of IfcSpace elements I am trying to select and identify them to extract valuable information, maybe in a spreadsheet or a BoQ.

The attached .ifc is a simple model with two floors and 1 space on the ground and 2 on the 1st:

I now want to use the Grouping and Filtering feature to select IfcSpace in the model by location (with a multistorey building or large project it might be handy this way)
Using the Class filter selects them all:

but if I need to select only those on a certain storey I have no chance since IfcSpace aggregates in a spatial container, not embedded in it and the Location filter doesn't seem to be helpful here.

So I tried to use a query to see if I could catch them by their Z value, and it kind of works OK when it is 0 (like the ground floor)

but my hopes vanished when I realized the same doesn't work with 3.2, the current Z value of the 2 IfcSpace on the 1st floor.

I then tried to use not zero value and it returned something I can only use if I had two storey

I believe there must be some easier way to select IfcSpace from the UI instead of fidgeting with random filter combinations, I would be grateful if someone would share that information here

as usual thanks a lot for your help

MassimotheoryshawOwura_qu

Comments

• edited February 4

update

a workaround is to name spaces with their level (Space1A, 1B.. for ground floor and 2A, 2B.. for first and so on)

then I can use /Space2.*/ in the Search Filter Attributes to select all on the 1st floor, following the naming set to the IfcSpace in the model :

..but it would be nice to know if there are more straightforward ways to do it

thanks

theoryshawMassimobdamay
  • Have you tried the selector?

steverugitheoryshaw
  • @JanF said:
    Have you tried the selector?

thanks, I wasn't aware of it, I am going to test it soon, cheers

• but if I need to select only those on a certain storey I have no chance since IfcSpace aggregates in a spatial container, not embedded in it and the Location filter doesn't seem to be helpful here.

This sounds like a reasonable interpretation of Location. Can you help file a bug so we can implement this? It seems to be the most intuitive solution.

steverugi
  • edited February 6

@Moult said:
    This sounds like a reasonable interpretation of Location. Can you help file a bug so we can implement this? It seems to be the most intuitive solution.

done! #4300
    it's the first time for me to post an issue, I wasn't able to add a tag though.

Owura_qu