Cutting Walls with roof slabs - boolean

Hi everyone,
I got confused by the way Shift E is acting between walls an slab. It seems that shift E creates a "dynamic" boolean operator on the wall (see img below). That's fine until it seems only one boolean (HalfSpaceSolid ?) can work at a time.
I found a workaround by setting the boolean to "manual" and repeat the shift E afterwards and resetting to manual. Seems to work fine.
But i'm wondering if this is right to do so , is it ?
or is there something else i should understand better ?

Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• Currently not possible to 'extend' one wall to multiple roofs...
    https://github.com/IfcOpenShell/IfcOpenShell/issues/3081

As a work around, i do a void like that...

AceBedsonbdamay
  • edited February 14

Hi @theoryshaw thanks for your reply. I understand that what i do with turning my booleans to "manual" is not the right way is it? I'm finally able to have my two cuts quite neat that way, i don't understand why would that be wrong (see below what shows when i turn boolean to visible) ? I may miss something...
    I also havn't completely understood how i could duplicate my slabs into voids and find it a bit tedious to redraw a void the exact same shape of my roof.
    Thanks again

• edited February 14

Here's an update of my gif. The one before was not that clear i think . It seems that setting the boolean created by shift E as "manual" has made it permanent in some way... i can then redo another one. Why would this be wrong ?

• @bdamay said:
    Here's an update of my gif. The one before was not that clear i think . It seems that setting the boolean created by shift E as "manual" has made it permanent in some way... i can then redo another one. Why would this be wrong ?

interesting solution
    I would normally split the wall into 2 and extend them against each roof slope

bdamay
  • For me, i've found HalfSpaceSolid booleans a little buggy, especially when you miter/butt walls at corners, so i don't use them that much.

• edited February 14

@theoryshaw said:
    For me, i've found HalfSpaceSolid booleans a little buggy, especially when you miter/butt walls at corners, so i don't use them that much.

Yes i noticed something like that as well. Need to mitre before applying boolean. Or the other way around, i don't know... i'll look into this.

@steverugi said:
    interesting solution

Splitting walls make some additionnal lines in the plan , isn't it? How do you get rid of these ?

• @steverugi said:
    interesting solution

Splitting walls make some additional lines in the plan , isn't it? How do you get rid of these ?

I use BBIM for converting 2D DWG into models to extract quantities, I haven't used it for professional printouts yet, only played a little with it
    I thought wall seams when printing was sorted out by now?

bdamay
  • I thought wall seams when printing was sorted out by now?

they 'meld' in plan, but not in elevation.
    https://github.com/IfcOpenShell/IfcOpenShell/issues/3742

steverugi
  • thanks @theoryshaw

I thought wall seams when printing was sorted out by now?

I am yet to adventure in the printout territory, however on top of walls I also use an IfcCovering layer of 2cm for outside plastering, which is kind of tedious due to openings.
    Not sure if it's the right way of doing it, but atm I clad the whole lot mainly because I don't know how to deal with layer set in columns, slabs, and beams, where I don't have the the wall plaster skin to cover (If I were to use layer set in walls to include plaster)
    As soon I as get enough proficient with the quantity thing I am going to move to documentation :)

• edited February 15

@theoryshaw said:

Thank you for this information.
    Well even if it was melted, (with all respect to @steverugi) i think i prefer not to split walls that i consider being one wall. I guess i need to try the void way you mentionned earlier.
    Is it possible to duplicate an element as a void instead of having the void cube that you need to redraw? (I think i saw something like this somewhere but i can't recall where i might have dreamt it)
    That said, even if buggy, i kind of like the HalfSpaceBoolean approach as it seems to be the way i think about it "The wall geometry is cut by the roof and above". I think, from a user point of view in an ideal world, one shouldn't have to create additionnal geometrys to deal with this.
    Have a good day

steverugi
  • @steverugi said:
    I am yet to adventure in the printout territory, however on top of walls I also use an IfcCovering layer of 2cm for outside plastering, which is kind of tedious due to openings.

Can you not use one opening (void) for multiple elements ?
    I may be off of your topic about what you say about coverings but, i tried and it didn't quite work. I apparently can't select more then one element to apply th void on.

• @steverugi said:
    As soon I as get enough proficient with the quantity thing I am going to move to documentation :)

Are you talking about writing some documentation ? on the wiki or blenderbim.org documentation ? (or may be it's simply IfcDocumentation :-))
    If i were may be a bit more experienced with BlenderBim, i surely would like to give writing doc a try (on matters like cutting walls for example). I understand a lot of material is inside the forum, some in the live chat, it is sometimes a bit hard to find.

• @bdamay said:

@steverugi said:

Can you not use one opening (void) for multiple elements ?
    I may be off of your topic about what you say about coverings but, i tried and it didn't quite work. I apparently can't select more then one element to apply th void on.

no, I don't thing it's possible
    say you have a wall with some covering/plaster, to the best of my knowledge you have to repeat the void (window/door is automatic but can't apply to covering altogether), but I might have missed something..

• @bdamay said:

@steverugi said:

Are you talking about writing some documentation ? on the wiki or blenderbim.org documentation ? (or may be it's simply IfcDocumentation :-))
    If i were may be a bit more experienced with BlenderBim, i surely would like to give writing doc a try (on matters like cutting walls for example). I understand a lot of material is inside the forum, some in the live chat, it is sometimes a bit hard to find.

I meant documentation as in drawing printouts but I would love to contribute to the Wiki one day

bdamay
  • say you have a wall with some covering/plaster, to the best of my knowledge you have to repeat the void (window/door is automatic but can't apply to covering altogether), but I might have missed something..

There's (2) different ways. :)
    https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/dvuijbsd7daywo0yqac7d/2024-02-15_06-21-48_blenderBlenderblender.mp4?rlkey=r8hchj11arvg20vwboh6f3lpr&dl=0

steverugibdamayArv
  • FYI, I made a mistake in that video, don't have the window, 'inside' the aggregate.

• @theoryshaw said:

say you have a wall with some covering/plaster, to the best of my knowledge you have to repeat the void (window/door is automatic but can't apply to covering altogether), but I might have missed something..

There's (2) different ways. :)
    https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/dvuijbsd7daywo0yqac7d/2024-02-15_06-21-48_blenderBlenderblender.mp4?rlkey=r8hchj11arvg20vwboh6f3lpr&dl=0

1st method

this is a wall, net and gross areas are the same 15.157m²

this is a plastering cover, area is the same as the wall

as you suggested I add a window on the wall (0.68m²):

after recalculating the quantity I have the following net area 14.617m²:

I aggregate wall and plaster:

I select window and assembly

I apply void to the assembly

and the plaster nicely shows the void

recalculate area..
    and all seems very much OK ! thanks

PS GrossArea of plaster seems not to be what expected but it's good enough for me

AcebdamayArvGorgious