BBIM - extruded arb. profile doesnt save rotation (and #instance not found error)

edited February 27 in General

Hi,
I try to make a door made from extruded custom arb. profiles. For this I tested rotating the profile (currently a IfcColumnType, as I don't know the proper way to make this as a doortype). This works fine, but when I go into edit mode and back the rotation resets to default position.

I tried applying transformation, but then something goes wrong and I got the #instance not found error with every action. (After a reload of previous save this didn't happen again, but applying resets it to default and origin point) This error shows up quite regularly though.

So in short:

• How to save the rotations of the extruded profiles?
  • What is the correct way to make e.g. a doorframe with extruded profiles?
    -How to make a path with multiple vertices to extrude the profile along?
  • How to resolve the #instance not found error if encountered? Or should I just reload file and hope it doesn't show up.

Thanks!

Ace

Comments

• edited March 6

How to save the rotations of the extruded profiles?

It was a bug, fixed after this commit. You can try it out in the latest build.

What is the correct way to make e.g. a doorframe with extruded profiles?

Not sure if there is a currently any better way than modeling it with ifc sverchok or creating each extrusion separately and then join them into one object (like this https://imgur.com/a/JywJHyc).

How to make a path with multiple vertices to extrude the profile along?

Arbitrary profiles. Here's example from Ifc Architect video (UI may changed a bit since then)

How to resolve the #instance not found error if encountered? Or should I just reload file and hope it doesn't show up.

Well, they shouldn't occur. As a workaround you can indeed reload IFC file but those errors can lead to some deeper issues. So please report if you can find any way to reproduce them.

• edited March 6

Thanks for your answer!

@Andrej730 said:
    Well, they shouldn't occur. As a workaround you can indeed reload IFC file but those errors can lead to some deeper issues. So please report if you can find any way to reproduce them.

I'll look out for them, but the reproducing is the hard part ;) Most times I have no idea what triggered it

• -How to make a path with multiple vertices to extrude the profile along?

@Andrej730 is it already possible to sweep a profile along a multiple segment path?

• is it already possible to sweep a profile along a multiple segment path?

@carlopav maybe I'm missing something but aren't arbitrary profiles cover it?

carlopav
  • edited March 6

I meant something like this, where the rail is an arbitrary profile. It's more probable it's me that I'm missing something :D

steverugi
  • beginner here, to make a door with a fancy lining wouldn't be more practical to sweep a curve in vanilla Blender and create an IfcDoor using a mesh? You loose the IFC parts anyway, or you create an assembly for that? thanks

• edited March 6

@steverugi said:
    beginner here, to make a door with a fancy lining wouldn't be more practical to sweep a curve in vanilla Blender and create an IfcDoor using a mesh? You loose the IFC parts anyway, or you create an assembly for that? thanks

I'm curious too! I'm currently testing this with Bezier curve bevel option and extruding a plane in the shape of the needed profile. The latter is somewhat faster for me, as I don't need to convert stuff from mesh to curve and back. Then I manually form the meshes to make better connections between the different 'profiles'. After I'm done I classify it as IfcDoorType and it works (except sometimes the opening, but that could be my fault). These processes of course use the .blend format until you classify it,.

I also tried the arb. profile sweep method, but as you say I had to unlink the Ifc elements, join them together and reclassify as IfcDoorType. I have the idea however that reclassifying isn't the best way to keep your meshes in good shape, and slower. However, you can save the profiles (and edit them) which I don't think is possible with the second method I mentioned. Maybe I am missing something, so if anyone knows a better way, let us know!

steverugi
  • @jes_r said:

After I'm done I classify it as IfcDoorType and it works (except sometimes the opening, but that could be my fault).

What do you mean, the 2D representation?

• @steverugi said:
    What do you mean, the 2D representation?

No the void itself:

It's how I loaded it in. the opening is higher then top of the mesh. Is it possible to edit the opening the IfcDoorType makes in the type itself? Or do it manually for every door?

• BlenderBIM cuts the opening using the bounding box of the geometry in the type, unless the type has a Profile representation (this is a 2d elevation of the opening) which is then extruded to create the opening.

steverugiMaartenFroughjes_r
  • edited April 24

@Andrej730 said:
    Not sure if there is a currently any better way than modeling it with ifc sverchok or creating each extrusion separately and then join them into one object (like this https://imgur.com/a/JywJHyc).

Pretty late, but I'm trying to create a parametric component in BlenderBIM that stays parametric. E.g. not having to bake (and delete the old one) every time. How would you do this? I've tried geonodes, but I can't seem to get a dynamic IFC classification via IfcSverchok. I don't understand if it's not possible as of right now or if I'm doing something wrong. Using Blender 3.6.1 (as 4.1 doesn't work with Sverchok yet).

You suggest here to model it in Sverchok completely, do you have an example where e.g. the default cube has 1 parametric face, it's classified as an IFC element and placed in the IfcProject?

For classifying and placing an IfcElement (in this case default cube) I've tried this:

The difference with modeling it in ifc sverchok is only in generating it via sverchok or getting the data, so that shouldn't be too hard right?

If this isn't the way, how would you do it? How are the parametric doors and windows made and can we use that to make our own components?

The next step would be more complex shapes, but this should be working first I think...

I don't have any (visual) programming knowledge, so it could be something simple. Having searched around I've never seen a working example for this problem.
    Thanks!