is there a hidden Machine-Learning / AI competition?

edited September 14 in General

I just found this:
https://groundbreakcarolinas.com/autodesk-completes-acquisition-of-ai-powered-software-provider-pype/
http://blog.rhino3d.com/2018/06/new-machine-learning-examples-with.html
https://blog.bricsys.com/the-potential-of-ai-for-bricscad/

... this is a hidden competition than everyone is missing?
... FreeCAD or Blender have any advances in this field?
... should we worry?

zager

Comments

• @jtm2020hyo said:
    ... should we worry?

No more than the rest of the people in this world...

JanF
  • I played with the grasshopper tools a bit back then when they came out, also with Crow and Galapagos. The main issue with all these cool sounding technologies is not integrating them, but finding something useful for them to do in our field.
    Machine learning is actually pretty simple. The problem is, you need a massive amounts of data on a particular problem, then you can teach the "ai" and let it run on new cases and benefit from the speed increase. This makes uses like autocorrect, translation and image recognition or underwear removal quite obvious. But unless we really want to let the machine spit out individual houses autonomously, as I suggested in another thread, its usefulness in the design process seems to be very limited. (I've seen some studies on urban planning and very specific areas like traffic infrastructure)
    Of course if you have any ideas and care to share them, it is very welcome.

infeeeeeMoult
  • edited September 16

I was checking some GPT-3 videos, is awesome, and scare me...

...as you mentioned , looks like AI building design is still green...

...I just could suggest create a workflow taking an (hypothetical) upgrade version of to FreeCAD + KiCAD, I mean ** (CSV+TXT)+XML+IFC** , or (Worksheet Tables+Definitions)+Diagrams+3D modeling. Until now this workflow is the most powerful than I know... And is not just for circuits or MEP, Architecture and Structural design can be benefited, some examples:

Blender and spatial diagrams:

AutoCAD Electrical diagrams and Inventor 3D assembly

KiCAD digrams and assembly and FreeCAD 3D modeling

... I mean give human intelligence and automated processes to our projects.

• You should obtain your key from OpenAI for GPT-3 :)

• By the way I assume that you are all aware of the security issues with this, but just as a reminder, a little rant.
    There is a reason why all the major companies are pushing ai technologies other than marketing. To make the most of the technology, the data has to be processed online. You don't have to care that Huawei scans and stores all your photos and everything you do with your phone (I do), but if Autodesk releases ai on the 90% US offices using Revit, they could have a lot of fun. I'm not saying they are willing to, for example, fiddle with international competitions, but there are other, even bigger powers in this world.
    I see a potential in evolutionary algorithms for now though, if anyone is also interested in this, sverchok should have a working GA node:
    https://github.com/nortikin/sverchok/pull/3284

ReD_CoDEJesusbill
  • edited September 16

Clearly buildings can be designed with an evolutionary approach, though my suspicion is that it only really works with building forms that are 'adaptive' in the first place. i.e evolving traditional architecture is possible, but modern architecture I'm not so sure, how would the computer know if the result was any good?

I don't see AI and machine learning (as distinct from genetic algorithms) designing buildings any time soon.

[Edit] I think AI will be very good at writing marketing texts for architects.

Moultcarlopav
  • @JanF looks interesting
    Also, it seems that Sverchok has a great UI improvement, and I hope its performance improves too, it uses a lot of CPU in my laptop
    These days I see more and more that people in other industries say: "We want solutions that don't touch our data"

• @brunopostle NVidia and Autodesk work on this area and (except a small mistake they have) they're so close to that point to design buildings and its interior automatically
    They use raster plans to generate (bubble and rectangular) graphs and fields (quantities) as input for machine learning
    Then use that data/information/knowledge as input for generative processes
    Also, use some correction and optimization methods like Bayesian methods

• @ReD_CoDE said:
    @brunopostle NVidia and Autodesk work on this area and (except a small mistake they have) they're so close to that point to design buildings and its interior automatically

But are these good buildings?

• This is their old version:
    https://developer.nvidia.com/blog/archigan-generative-stack-apartment-building-design/

It depends, I like the approach they follow
    But I have another workflow in mind, which is different and will take time to complete it

carlopav
  • These are all plausible looking plans, in the same way that gpt-3 generates plausible sounding text without any understanding of what it is doing. I don't see how you get from here to something anyone would consider building.

It is very cool that a computer can do these things, it's like a dog that can walk on its hind legs.

• Imagine soon (not soon, until 2050) AI can be a mathematician that solves questions that are impossible human mathematicians solve
    And even this happened decades before! For instance, computers found that we can explain all color ranges (2D) with only 4 hues. Before that 5 color-map was popular
    So, when computers can solve impossible questions in mathematics and physics, do you think they can't learn how to design?
    All of them are mathematics, even architecture

DADA_universe
  • @ReD_CoDE said:
    So, when computers can solve impossible questions in mathematics and physics, do you think they can't learn how to design?
    All of them are mathematics, even architecture

I know computers can design buildings, I just think that machine learning and AI are unpromising approaches. I agree that maybe in 2050 things will look very different.

ReD_CoDE
  • Sverchok has genetic Algorythm node if something

• ArchiCAD from v22 has user behaviour prediction ML algo, but it trying to guess and it takes time and if it guess wrong, than you waiting for his extra-job

• that nvidia link look awesome, I wish play with something similar in FreeCAD or Blender.

... in the next group video call it would be very interesting for them to talk about this topic and their progress, and if possible share some samples.