[OSArch] Organisation of meetups

Comments

• @Jesusbill said:
    Glad to announce that in the upcoming meetup that will be held on the 3rd of July we will host Lindsay Kay, the main developer of Xeokit, who will talk about this open-source web programming toolkit for AEC graphics. Announcements to follow next week.
    @gokermu the site is this: https://xeokit.io/index.html
    Do you want to work on your own for the thumbnail? I didn't ask one from the presented yet, as I saw that you do your own research on the topic :) Of course, if you think it is easier I can ask for an image, just let me know.
    For the title let's use: xeokit: 3D Web Programming Toolkit for AEC Graphics
    ** If the title is too long I would eliminate the word programming

I will find the image i think. :) I'll share it when i get a chance.

Jesusbill
  • @gokermu I think so too :) thanks

• edited June 2021

meetup #16 thumbnail is here! open for discussion.

Jesusbillduncanstephen_l
  • @Jesusbill we talked about adding the time and date in the corner of the graphics. How do you feel about that now?

• @duncan yes let's include also date and time, we can keep this for the YT thumbnail and the updated one for the announcement.
    @gokermu looks great to me, let's do also the modification discussed above.

• @duncan I am preparing the announcements for the next meetup. What is your take on the channel we should host it?
    Do we continue with fsf or switch back to jitsi?

• I don't know @Jesusbill . It's hard to know what the problem was. You decide. I would prefer to use the FSF server just because we have more control if we get trolls.

• @duncan I opted for the jitsi server, let's make a test in these days if possible and try recording with a "controlled" call and see if the popups do show up in the native jitsi recording feature.
    Also we should coordinate with Lindsay for a preliminary testing call. I can propose to him one of the late evenings at 20:30 if you can propose one or a couple of days that work for you

• edited August 2021

Great to announce that for August's monthly meetup we will have @dimitar Pouchnikov from UH Studio talking about Blender for Architectural Concept Design!
    The meetup will be held on Saturday, the 7th of August at 18:00 UTC (two hours before the usual time of the meetups).
    Preparing all related material for the announcements.
    @gokermu I am attaching a cover that Dimitar has provided, I can have eventually also one without text but if you can start preparing the thumbnail it would be perfect.

paulleeCyriljchkochcarlopavDADA_universe
  • Hi guys,
    Dimitar's design looks good. But I recommend using this as it is more compatible with the design language we used in the thumbnail images of the past meetups. But decision is yours guys.

• Thanks @gokermu, it looks great. Two comments: there is a typo in the last name and I would propose to make the subtitle and name pf presenter a bit more clear to read, either with bigger/bolder fonts or with a background color or something.

• hey @Jesusbill ,
    Fixed the typo issue. Made the subtitle and name of the speaker bolder. New version is here. If you have any more comments, please let me know.

JesusbillcarlopavjchkochDADA_universe
  • Cool graphic :) Was that done in Blender? :)

gokermu
  • I guess we'll find out on Saturday ?

• Hi everybody, this month has been a bit more challenging from an organizational point of view but we have managed to plan the upcoming Monthly Meetup for this coming Saturday the 25th @ 20:00 UTC.
    The presentation will be given by Yousheng Wang from BIM Mars on the new open-source tool IFC Toolbox, which is a set of user-friendly no-code utilities to process IFC files for automating and facilitating specific tasks.
    @gokermu I trust you can use the links to find material for the thumbnail, if not let me know, thanks
    For the title let's use: "IFC Toolbox: Features and Examples"

gokermu
  • Created the thumbnail. I can revise it according to your comments.

JesusbillDADA_universeduncan
  • @gokermu looks great!
    Yousheng has provided us with the IFC Toolbox logo, to replace BIM Mars, and a better version of the background image, both included in the zip file. Thanks in advance for the revision

• No problem. Here you go! Any updates are welcomed :)

GorgiousJesusbillJanFYoushengMoult
  • @gokermu you make damn nice graphics!

JesusbillgokermuMoult
  • Hi all, for this monthly meetup this coming Saturday the 23rd we will be hosting @Rick_Brice to talk about BridgeLink, an open source bridge engineer software published by the Washington State Department of Transportation. The flagship application, PGSuper for design, analysis, and load rating of precast, prestressed concrete girder bridges, will be highlighted including recent efforts to support bridge data exchanges with IFC 4x3.
    @gokermu the title would be: "BridgeLink - Open Source Bridge Engineering Software" by Richard Brice
    For the background I am attaching a photo that was shared by Rick and some screenshots that I made from the software.
    You can proceed as you see most appropriate, thanks.

JanFpaulleetheoryshawMoult
  • Hi guys,
    Sorry for not being able to create the thumbnail. It has been a hectic week. Just got a chance to get in front of computer.

• @gokermu no worries, it happens especially when doing things in the last minute ... so hopefully we can improve on this aspect. I will let you know in time for the next one, thanks.

• edited October 2021

I would like to announce that @fbpyr will be presenting in the following meetup on November 13th. He will talk about IFCconnector a project that focuses on managing and visualizing BIM data. More info to be given soon.

jchkochCadGiruduncan
  • Hi @gokermu , @fbpyr has provided this image as possible candidate, there are some other images also in the repository of IFCconnector that could be useful as well. How is your schedule? Do you think you'll be able to prepare the thumbnail in the next few days, like end of Thursday for example?

gokermu
  • edited November 2021

@fbpyr do you have a logo that you can share?

• Btw I am sharing the figma file for the thumbnails. If I won't be able to make it, others can create too.
    https://www.figma.com/file/tb2sWR8ulY6bntNOV9mhma/IFC-Connector?node-id=0:1

fbpyr
  • Thank you so much @gokermu - looks pretty nice to me! (-:
    Unfortunately there is no logo for ifcconnector yet. /-:

gokermu
  • @duncan said:
    I've been testing BigBlueButton with @agviegas and my son and we think it is f*n great. We found a whiteboard function that didn't quite work on the demo we tested but the rest works brilliantly. I'll be testing a different demo server soon. I've spoken to them and they'd be willing to sell us an account for $30 / month with 6 month binding. I'm wondering if we should make a shared FOSS projects account for the use of all our projects. That might get funds to cover a paid account... but that's a different discussion.

https://www.webhostingzone.org/solutions/bigbluebutton-hosting.html
    so I'm testing their demo server
    https://bigbluebutton.webhostingzone.org/b/

Here's a quick intro, just seven minutes, let's show people that FOSS video conferencing is possible! ZOOM must die!

BigBlueButton overview for moderator/presenters (with breakout rooms) in BigBlueButton

https://www.youtube.com/c/BigBlueButton/videos

Open source Canvas LMS has additional functionality based on other open source products, for example BigBlueButton. Here are some specific details of implementation and features of the Canvas LMS open source software: https://enterexe.com/open-source-canvas-lms-software-implementation