If you're reading this, we've just migrated servers! If anything looks broken please email dion@thinkmoult.com :)

IFC Aggregrates

edited October 2020 in General

Hi, I've recently started using IFCs in my workflow so I'm trying to learn as much as I can as I go along. So this may seem like a basic question. When Import IFC models into Blender some geometry come in as aggregates, what are aggregates? And could you also possibly recommend some learning material/online tutorials I can do to improve my knowledge regarding the IFC workflow. Thanks in advance

Tagged:
theoryshawjtm2020hyo

Comments

• G'day @CarpgianeDS and welcome to OSArch!

There are different types of elements in IFC. Some elements represent objects, like walls, and doors, and so on. Other elements represent spaces, like buildings, storeys, and sites. In IFC, it is possible to describe how a particular element is made out of many sub elements of the same type. This description is called an "aggregation".

For example, let us consider types of elements that represent spaces, like sites, buildings, and storeys. You can say that a site consists of multiple buildings. This is known as an aggregation, where the site is the "whole" and the buildings within that site are the "parts". You can then break it down further and say that a particular building consists of multiple storeys.

Another example is types of elements that represent objects, like walls and doors. One possibility of an aggregation is a roof - as a roof can consist of many beams, insulation layers, fixings, and coverings. Another example of an aggregation is a stair. A stair may include multiple stair flights, some landings, and railings.

Note that aggregations only apply to elements of the same type. You cannot mix element types. For example, you cannot say a space consists of furniture - as the space element is a different type of element to the furniture element.

I hope this makes sense. If it does, and you've learned something, please write what you've learned here: https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=IFC_aggregates - you don't even need an account to edit it! We can review what you've written to make sure that it is technically correct. This way, everybody can learn!

I can recommend reading all the pages on the OSArch wiki under the IFC category here: https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=Category:Industry_Foundation_Classes_(IFC)

If you are more technically focused, I can also direct you to portions of the IFC specification, but this may be a little confusing unless you're diving into the details of IFC.

JanFJesusbillCadGirutheoryshawbasweinCarpgianeDSiosvarms
  • Hey @Moult thanks for your reply. What you explained there is quite clear and I understand it. I will do a bit more reading like you suggested and the write piece to update the wiki.

• @CarpgianeDS would you be interested in writing what you've learned here? https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=IFC_aggregates

• @Moult yes I will type something up and send it across.

• @CarpgianeDS actually, you can edit the wiki directly! You don't even need to register an account. On any wiki page, like those that I've linked to, just press the "Edit" link near the top right of the page and type away :) Don't worry about making mistakes, there are people monitoring all wiki changes who can help!

• Have started editing wiki page for ifc Aggregation
    Would like to Use icons I have previously used here, but do not have upload rights...
    who can help?

duncan
  • @CadGiru done - you now have upload rights :) Have fun!