BlenderBIM: import/export settings

Does anyone know if the following settings got moved somewhere else in the latest refactor? Can't seem to find them.
If not available, is there any roadmap to make these available again?

Comments

• They have been split into three locations.

1. When you import an IFC in the file browse dialog, you will see some of these options (where relevant).
    2. When you export an IFC in the file browse dialog, you will see some of these options (where relevant)
    3. In the mesh data properties, you will see some of these options that only relate to mesh data. They take effect as you update meshes.

Finally, some have been removed, not because functionality is lost, but actually because the underlying system is now more robust which makes the option obsolete. Things like the import aggregates - which is irrelevant because the new system handles aggregates much better. Or import guessing georeferencing - which is no longer necessary due to the improved georeferencing + Blender offset system in the new version where this happens automatically and there is no need for the user to toggle an option.

• edited February 2021

Nice, I see them. thx.
    Can't remember, was there every an option to export out walls more intelligently than just IFCPOLYGONALFACESETs? Was there an option for IFCEXTRUDEDAREASOLID or a similar parametric definition?
    Also, I think i remember IfcAnnotations being exported too, but they don't seem to any more. Was I imagining things?--can't remember.

• @theoryshaw there wasn't an option that magically converted polygonal face sets or targeted walls specifically to be extruded areas.

IfcAnnotations are exported. Just tested and seems to work.

• was more referring to properties such as the mesh 'path' and 'extrusion' modifier in blender being more intelligently exported out into the IFC. Similar to the following, for example...

/*#163= IFCPRODUCTDEFINITIONSHAPE($,$,(#142,#160));*/
          /*#142= IFCSHAPEREPRESENTATION(#103,'Axis','Curve2D',(#140));*/
            /*#103= IFCGEOMETRICREPRESENTATIONSUBCONTEXT('Axis','Model',*,*,*,*,#100,$,.GRAPH_VIEW.,$);*/
              /*#100= IFCGEOMETRICREPRESENTATIONCONTEXT($,'Model',3,0.0001,#97,#98);*/
                /*#97= IFCAXIS2PLACEMENT3D(#6,$,$);*/
                  /*#6= IFCCARTESIANPOINT((0.,0.,0.));*/
                /*#98= IFCDIRECTION((6.12303176911189E-17,1.));*/
            /*#140= IFCPOLYLINE((#9,#138));*/
              /*#9= IFCCARTESIANPOINT((0.,0.));*/
              /*#138= IFCCARTESIANPOINT((10.,-0.));*/
          /*#160= IFCSHAPEREPRESENTATION(#105,'Body','SweptSolid',(#150));*/
            /*#105= IFCGEOMETRICREPRESENTATIONSUBCONTEXT('Body','Model',*,*,*,*,#100,$,.MODEL_VIEW.,$);*/
              /*#100= IFCGEOMETRICREPRESENTATIONCONTEXT($,'Model',3,0.0001,#97,#98);*/
                /*#97= IFCAXIS2PLACEMENT3D(#6,$,$);*/
                /*#98= IFCDIRECTION((6.12303176911189E-17,1.));*/
            /*#150= IFCEXTRUDEDAREASOLID(#148,#149,#19,10.);*/
              /*#148= IFCRECTANGLEPROFILEDEF(.AREA.,$,#147,10.,0.666666666666667);*/
                /*#147= IFCAXIS2PLACEMENT2D(#145,#25);*/
                  /*#145= IFCCARTESIANPOINT((5.,0.));*/
                  /*#25= IFCDIRECTION((-1.,0.));*/
              /*#149= IFCAXIS2PLACEMENT3D(#6,$,$);*/
              /*#19= IFCDIRECTION((0.,0.,1.));*/
      /*#194= IFCMATERIALLAYERSETUSAGE(#191,.AXIS2.,.NEGATIVE.,0.333333333333333);*/
        /*#191= IFCMATERIALLAYERSET((#189),'Basic Wall:Generic - 8"');*/
          /*#189= IFCMATERIALLAYER(#176,0.666666666666667,$);*/
            /*#176= IFCMATERIAL('Default Wall');*/

This file doesn't seem to export out the IfcAnnotation in the drawing. Maybe I'm missing something.

• Finally, some have been removed, not because functionality is lost, but actually because the underlying system is now more robust which makes the option obsolete. Things like the import aggregates - which is irrelevant because the new system handles aggregates much better. Or import guessing georeferencing - which is no longer necessary due to the improved georeferencing + Blender offset system in the new version where this happens automatically and there is no need for the user to toggle an option.

Is the following examples, buried in the native functionality?

• Import Native Representations
    • Roundtrip Native Representations

Or have you abandoned the 'vertex groups' approach for codifying parametrics, for now?

• Or have you abandoned the 'vertex groups' approach for codifying parametrics, for now?

I think I partly found the answer here.

• edited February 2021

Ah yeah sorry for the confusion, the whole drawings module has not yet been fully ported to the new system. I had been holding off to first fix more critical bugs before resuming work on drawings. So all the buttons you press with the drawings module aren't in IFC ... by default, at least.

However, if you manually create a new 2D object and then assign an IfcAnnotation class to it and ensure it is in the appropriate context (i.e. Plan / Annotation), then it'll be stored in IFC. Same if you add a new annotation context representation to existing objects. In short, the function is there - it's just manual for the moment. You can of course manually assign these IfcAnnotations after pressing the buttons from the drawings module. It's not a very nice user experience, though :(

As for the two functions, Import Native Representations was the experimental feature that encoded basic parametric data in vertex groups. This was an experiment which failed. It never could support the full complexity of parametric geometry without a crazy amount of investment. The second function, Roundtrip native representations was a response to the failure of the first experiment, proposed in this thread. This response succeeded, in fact it succeeded so well that it led to the rewrite of everything in the last release to be round-tripped. Now, since the rewrite is "done", the option is now the way things are always done, so there is no need for the option to exist anymore.

theoryshaw