If you're reading this, we've just migrated servers! If anything looks broken please email dion@thinkmoult.com :)

BlenderBIM - Scene organisation

2»

Comments

• @Ace has been using drawings more than I, he might have a better opinion.

• @ChubbyQuark said:

@theoryshaw said:
    Not sure, one way or the other, but seasoned Blender users start doing things like the following, just because 'collections' is a good way to organize a file. File here.
    As you can see, we're not really using 'IfcBuildingStorey' correctly here, but is a hack to help organize the scene.

@theoryshaw did you find a way to organise a scene within blender? I think the object visibility should should be linked to the include/exlude filters within the Pset so its obvious what will print to .SVG

Dion mentioned in another post to use Groups, which is the current approach I'm taking, this means the .ifc ends up with a drawing group per phase (existing, proposed, demo etc.). Not sure if this is best practice but it works well to link scene visibility in Blender to the exported drawing .SVG.

I think I am doing the same thing as you, I'm mainly using the views to organise the file (as you can exclude/include, use custom Css etc) and the ifc model itself is a bit messy since I have overlapping phases visible, so my outliner is just organised the default way, my main goal was to output good 2d drawings, but also the building and files I am using are very small, mainly residential and none over 5mb, so it's much easier to keep track of all the elements.
    Sorry if that's not anything different

• Ok, makes sense. I think there should be a way to sync the camera/drawing view with the Pset filters apllied for printing the .svg. what do you think?

Im not sure if this is possible at the moment but if we can agree the best approach I beleive its worthy of a feature request?

Having views which allow focused design work at a given phase or detail is pretty vital to reduce distraction and visual clutter in the model.

• @ChubbyQuark said:
    Ok, makes sense. I think there should be a way to sync the camera/drawing view with the Pset filters apllied for printing the .svg. what do you think?

Im not sure if this is possible at the moment but if we can agree the best approach I beleive its worthy of a feature request?

Having views which allow focused design work at a given phase or detail is pretty vital to reduce distraction and visual clutter in the model.

Agreed