Excited to announce that we've open-sourced our first package🌱 #BCFjs

Hey everyone, glad to join this community.
I'm super excited to announce that we've open-sourced our first package #BCFjs from our software - Studio 3DX, and as a company, that we will also implement to IFCjs with @agviegas Antonio González Viegas, founder of IFC.js.

Harry Collin, Lead Software Developer at Parametricos is the lead of this.
Feel free to contribute, test and submit any issues on the #BCFjs! ✨ https://github.com/Parametricos/bcf-js

BCF #OpenBIM #OpenSource #BIM #IFC

Tagged:
Cyrilstephen_lagviegasJesusbilltheoryshawSigmaDimensionsAldo

Comments

• We've created a new discord server you can join for #bcfjs at https://discord.gg/qcTMXVa44S or ask me and I'll invite you to our Slack

• Super great initiative! 👏

messiosmarios
  • edited May 2021

@messiosmarios welcome to OSArch and glad to have you here! This will be extremely important for web-based issue management software to integrate with! I see it is BCF 2.1 - I assume that is BCF-XML. Is there support planned for the BCF-API too?

By the way, would you be interested in merging chatrooms with OSArch? There are usually around 40-50 people online in the OSArch chatroom who are from different backgrounds and specialties (both in terms of professional training, and software usage). @agviegas was present for a while, but I haven't seen him in a while - but during that short while, a brief discussion allowed us to work together to solve problems in IFC.JS by using IfcOpenShell to generate some IFC-specific code. I believe that joining will allow more cross-pollination between free software projects, and allow us to go further together. For example, the current GSoC student @Prabhat is online working on BCF 3.0 XML and API support, I've got API test server access, and we're also building a bSDD API library.

theoryshawmessiosmariosSigmaDimensionsduncan
  • Hey @Moult! Sorry, the truth is that these months have been really busy and I haven't had much time to get into the chat. I was also a bit overwhelmed by the fact that the chat room had notifications of library updates, and that there was only one room to talk about anything (support, proposals, questions and off topic). However, I'm still open to conversations and collaboration, so I'll try to get into the chat these days. 😄

• Hey @Moult, thank you for the invitation to the OSArch chatrooms, and for your suggestions. I'd love to discuss further a possible collaboration and grow together with other great initiatives. As for the BCF-API, we haven't planned any support at the moment but we have considered it for future updates. Our aim is to get more people to contribute to BCF.JS as well as IFC.JS by @agviegas, so that the support and development can become faster and wider.

If it's not too much to ask, please submit these suggestions to BCF.JS on github as this will help us in keeping track, or even find the right people to contribute to them.
    I would also like to invite Harry Collin, our lead developer on this, to the chat.

• Hey @agviegas I guess it is the nature of IRC to generally have many hundreds of people in fewer channels, and to allow general channels - this allows for more "cross-fertilisation" of ideas. However, it is possible to do something like an #osarch general channel, as well as specific channels, like #osarch-dev or #osarch-feed (to isolate the commits), but this generally only happens when a community is much larger (i.e. hundreds of participants online simultaneously). Don't feel obliged to respond to any messages - it is quite normal for people to "lurk" in many channels and only emerge when something looks interesting, or if somebody directly pings them (and only then you should get a notification).

@messiosmarios cheers :) Submitted: https://github.com/Parametricos/bcf-js/issues/1

agviegasmessiosmarios
  • I just want to join @Moult in his promotion of cross pollination. We've talked a few times in our chat and forum about how important it is that we notice what other people are doing and talking about and not just our own little projects. This is how create and support an ecosystem of solutions instead of a whole lot of separate projects. So it's really something to think about before setting up new/extra forums chats etc.

We're very happy to hear other suggestions for achieving the same thing. Cooperation between projects is what OSArch is here to support.

@messiosmarios would you like to add some relevant information to our BCF page? https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=BIM_Collaboration_Format_(BCF)

Moultmessiosmarios