If you're reading this, we've just migrated servers! If anything looks broken please email dion@thinkmoult.com :)

python-materialsdb : Library for materialsdb.org a large and open materials database

edited March 2022 in General

Crosspost from python-materialsdb

Woaw! It's been a while since my last article. More than a year.

I am happy to present you my new library for materialsdb.org. Consider as an alpha, see below in what's next.

What's materialsdb.org ?

In short it is an open standard to store material data. More details on official website. I have used it throughout my career for thermal analysis through Lesosai. It can store thermal conductivity, thermal capacity etc… but also data for other trades like structural analysis, acoustic analysis, like cycle analysis, fire behaviour. Names, description can be stored in multiple languages. Materials data can be stored for a specific country if material vary from a country to another. These materials data are directly updated by manufacturers themselves. It works great.

python-materialsdb library

What's new ?

This library have a tool to convert materials data to IFC. IFC schema contains an IfcProjectLibrary entity which allow your store element types like IfcWallType, IfcSlabType etc… These project libraries can be read by BlenderBIM Add-on which means that you can then use it directly in your project to create wall with accurate materials data. Materials contains a custom property set to store materialsdb.org id which means Lesosai and other softwares using materialsdb.org can retrieve all material data with this id which have not be stored in IFC like translations in other languages. Default language is french and default country is Switzerland but you can easily modify your config as described in README.

If you are a manufacturer you can eventually also use it to create your own materials.

What's next

Only material data from material IFC specifications property sets and basics like id are currently converted to IFC. Handling for the rest of the data can be easily added.

More tools to query material (by name, manufacturer, thermal conductivity etc…).

Testing: make sure that there is no unit mismatch. Check if ArchiCAD can use an IfcProjectLibrary in some ways.

bitacovirstephen_lJesusbillbrunopostleAldobasweinpaulleecarlopavberndMoultand 7 others.

Comments

• This is really fantastic. There are a few things lacking in the BlenderBIM Add-on to fully make use of this:

1. Support for importing materials only from libraries
    2. More complex unit management support (derived, conversion based, complex units)

Oh, and if FreeCAD wanted it could reuse the API for appending assets so it could benefit too ... @yorik we really need to have that discussion about native IFC in FreeCAD :)

paulleestephen_lcarlopav
  • edited June 2021

This is really fantastic.

+1

@yorik we really need to have that discussion about native IFC in FreeCAD :)

very interesting ...

carlopav
  • edited March 2022

Hi @Cyril @topologic @agonzalezesteve
    Life in this topic again. I made this post on linked to my Danish friend and now I need some examples to show them so I can get people to use it. So, who has examples I can share? At the moment the focus is on EPDs LCC & LCA calculation which will be a legal requirement soon in Danish buildings over 1000 m² - so there's a lot of focus and hopeless and fragmented digital infrastructure.
    Added a new opendata tag ... we need to clean up all these hardly used tags ...

• @Cyril & I are meeting with Flavio from the project on Monday. Anyone got something important for us to ask write to one of us.

• edited March 23

Hi all. What is the update on this "materialsdb"? Can this material library now be imported into BBIM having the assigned "Name", "Description" and "Category" as required fields in BBIM?
    This should be a fantastic resource BTW like we do with the .adsklib in Revit!

steverugi
  • @Owura_qu said:
    Hi all. What is the update on this "materialsdb"? Can this material library now be imported into BBIM having the assigned "Name", "Description" and "Category" as required fields in BBIM?
    This should be a fantastic resource BTW like we do with the .adsklib in Revit!

... and I would add "how to import materials from a text table?" apart from doing it from a library, as in an .ifc file with materials already stored in it.
    Like exporting materials used in a model using spreadsheet but in reverse, is it even possible?
    many thanks

Owura_qu
  • edited March 23

@Owura_qu It was already the case when it was released. Did you try from prepackaged files on Github?

• Maybe we should ship with the libraries to increase visibility? Alternatively we can build a feature that downloads libraries on the fly from online sources (so instead of bundling everything we can just populate a large list).

NigelOwura_qu