IDS Information Delivery Specification

2»

Comments

• By all the properties, do you mean all the properties that are specified in IFC schema for IfcWall? Do you just want to check if they are present in the IFC model?
    Yes, it is possible but I would suggest (if not short of time) to wait a few weeks until IDS schema gets updated to official version 1.0. Right now, for example, the tool is lacking units of measure and attributes.

• @ATomczak ...Not all the properties but some specific ones. I will wait to see the outcome. Though I will continue working maybe I could get a solution. Thank you.

• do you have a list of what you want to specify? Maybe I could help.

• @ATomczak yes. I can send you the list later if you can assist.

• @ATomczak, find attached an example of the list. Thank you.

• @ATomczak any update regarding the example I sent?

• @polsonmila, you can check those properties with IDS, but it depends on what you want to validate about the value. If you want to just check if the properties exist, you don't need to specify the value. If you want to check if the value is of proper measure unit, you would have to use the IDS schema naming: https://github.com/buildingSMART/IDS/blob/80af13fed221256b8bf7073d33637c60b3aab5cf/Development/0.5/ids_05.xsd#L116
    For example, 'IfcDuration' would need to be specified as 'Time'. 'IfcBoolean' in XML Schema is 'xs:boolean' ('xs' is the name of the XML Schema namespace): https://w3schools.com/xml/schema_dtypes_misc.asp.
    I think IfcMaterialLayerSet would be problematic. IDS handles materials by default, but only their names, not thickness. I will check with the buildingSMART if we can check for 'LayerThickness'.

• @ATomczak , Thanks. I will continue to study. It's been a helpful insight.

• Hi @ATomczak , many thanks for your wonderful work!
    May I ask you why did you use the logging framework to build the reports and bcf files?
    To me it seems a bit of a stretch to use the logging facility as a data container... but maybe it's just me.
    The thing is, the BCFHandler expects every error message (and info messages id report_valid is True) to be a dictionary with "sentence", "ifc_element" and "guid" keys, but this rule is broken by the ids class itself when no applicable elements are found.
    I see that in version 0.7.0 there is a validate2 method (which in my opinion is too tightly coupled with the specification class), but the saved failed_entities are not used anywhere. Are you planning on doing something with it?

I would envision an event driven system, so that one can register its own handler (be it a logger, a json dump, a BCF dump, or a mailer) without the need to follow the logging syntax. is it just too much work for too little gain?

(also it would be wonderful if you stick to the project coding conventions, that is class names should be CamelCase, as per PEP8)

• Hi guys,
    thanks for the new huge release.
    I read about "IfcTester library, CLI application and web app that allows you to view, edit, and audit models using the brand new IDS standard."
    Where can I get more info?
    Thanks

• @Bimlooser said:
    I read about "IfcTester library, CLI application and web app that allows you to view, edit, and audit models using the brand new IDS standard."
    Where can I get more info?

Not much but some informations are in this topic. https://community.osarch.org/discussion/1224/basic-bim-idm . I am interested as well. We may open a new topic in this regard and start to use it and doctryingment it there ...

• Hi, Im trying to implement IDS made in BIMCollab into Revit. Does anyone have an idea about it? Or maybe sources I can use or anything useful. Thank you!

• edited November 2023

Implement meaning: build an add-in using Revit API, or open IDS file in Revit? As of today, Revit doesn't support the IDS standard and I'm not aware of any 3rd party tools that do it in Revit. You can export IFC and check such file with, among others, IfcTester.

• @Renwar0184, Kubus Solutions has released their IDS validation tool for BIMcollab ZOOM and their BCF manager for Revit. I've tested their integrations, but it's still in beta and still has a lot off flaws. IfcTester, on the other hand, works great.

Nigel