If you're reading this, we've just migrated servers! If anything looks broken please email dion@thinkmoult.com :)

IFC.js synergies

edited July 2021 in General

At IFC.js we are talking about creating synergies with other OSArch projects and becoming part of this ecosystem. We are doing this thread as a brainstorming session.

We had a very productive talk with @Moult in which several interesting ways of collaboration were mentioned:

1. Referencing OSArch on our website.
  2. Think about functionality overlaps between IFC.js and IfcOpenShell, so that we can save time and make both libraries go further. In both projects we are looking for more developers, so looking for common pieces can be a smart strategy.
  3. Leverage the work of IFC Authoring and nodes that Dion mentioned.
  4. Look for collaborations with BlenderBIM (e. g. take a Blender model and bring it directly to a web viewer for sharing).
  5. Link IFC.js to OpenSourceBIM for possible funding we may receive.

We are open to any other ideas or suggestions!

dimitriechunchkbitacovirJesusbillduncankaiaurelienzhMoulthtlcnnMeetlat

Comments

• edited July 2021

@agviegas said:
    We are open to any other ideas or suggestions!

What about a complete the loop with BlenderBIM <-> FreeCAD BIMWB. There is BIMServer that could be used to connect different software as clients for a single BIM model in the cloud.
    https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=BIMServer
    Maybe you can use its development.

The idea is to present a alternative open source workflow for BIM projects that involves large scale models (BlenderBIM), small scale models (FreeCAD ArchBIM workbench) and full management and visualisation of BIM models in workstations, mobile devices, AR, etc(IFC.js).

• @agviegas maybe you'd like to help refine some graphics for the purpose of showing support for OSArch. We had a discussion here and I made this mockup: https://community.osarch.org/discussion/comment/7433/#Comment_7433

agviegas
  • @duncan said:
    @agviegas maybe you'd like to help refine some graphics for the purpose of showing support for OSArch. We had a discussion here and I made this mockup: https://community.osarch.org/discussion/comment/7433/#Comment_7433

Looks good! How can we help with that? From our side, it would be cool to have the badge in IFC.js page.

@bitacovir said:
    What about a complete the loop with BlenderBIM <-> FreeCAD BIMWB. There is BIMServer that could be used to connect different

Great, we're up to that :)

• edited July 2021

@agviegas I guess I'm just trying to think what's the best version / design of the icon to encourage people to use. People usually want to modify an icon to fit their own website design so I guess it's a dead end trying to control the use of colors.

I think this one is the one to build on. We can just switch out the text so it says supporter or whatever instead. But I want to put the full name in to increase understanding - otherwise it's just a swirl at the bottom of a page.

• We don't have a strong opinion regarding colors. That one looks good to me! Should we put it in the web with a link to OSArch?
    PD: Just my opinion, but I think that the icon is memorable enough for people to understand even without the text. If you want to put the text, maybe you could take a look at how the Epic guys did that with the unreal logo.