Overwrite existing IFC file BlenderBIM

edited July 2021 in General

I have the following blender file, which I made using IFC imports from manufacturers libraries and removing the IfcProject so I I was only left with the Blender geometry. This worked very well and I could export it to IFC with no problem.

Sometimes the IFC export failed or it wouldn't overwrite the old file, I used this Python script I found on this forum to remove the existing IFC file from the IFC schema and made a new Project

Which worked well.

Now I started completely remodeling my blender file to make a more precise model, I started modelling the same model next to my old model in the same Blender file so I could copy paste some objects.

After I was done I deleted the old model in the Blender file and tried to export it to IFC again.
However it seems the export got stuck on one Element, it exported only this. While it used to export the whole model.

I tried rerunning the Python script again, but it gave the following error

I looked it my scene collection if this was the problem, but the element doesn't exist in my Blender scene anymore.

I tried by opening the IFC file itself to look for this IfcRoof/sporenkap

I removed this element by hand, saved the ifc file and exported it again. But the element turned back up again. I have no idea how to get rid of it.

Looking at the console output, it seems I accidently typed IfcBeam/IfcRoof/sporenkap instead of IfcBeam/sporenkap. Now it's stuck and won't overwrite or delete the element.
In my blender scene this element is deleted and I ran the python script to get rid of the IFC file and make a new Ifc Project.

Any ideas on how to make a fresh and clean new IFC export from my blender file?

Comments

• A way to actually clean the file completely (remove the project itself) is to open another session, select all in this one, copy and paste everything to the other session, then run the script again.

Coentheoryshaw
  • @stephen_l said:
    A way to actually clean the file completely (remove the project itself) is to open another session, select all in this one, copy and paste everything to the other session, then run the script again.

Thanks, that worked. I tried it before, but I made the mistake to create an IfcProject first before running the script

• What's a clever way to backup the IFC that you're editing? Just make a copy of the file?

• Yeah just copy the file.

Coen