BlenderBIM: Locking parent-children objects to a IfcBuildingStorey

I was wondering if this a good idea, when I want to refactor an IFC file. I want all the objects to be place on the correct IfcBuildingStorey. It's an incredible hassle to move all the objects one by one to the correct IfcBuildingStorey. I recently discovered you can lock parent-children objects in Blender:

I exported this very basic IFC file:

Then I adjusted the height of the IfcBuildingStorey from 6m > 10m > 1m and exported it everytime.
01_first_floor Z set at 10m

01_first_floor Z set at 1m

It seems to work. The only thing is, you still have to place the IFC elements in the correct "collection" if you want to export them correctly.
This is my question or somewhat feature request:
Is it possible if you lock a parent-child object, BlenderBIM also automatically recognizes in which IfcBuildingStorey collection it needs to go? That to me seems like a more directly visual way to place elements the way you want and another advantage is, you can move all the objects of your entire IfcBuildingStorey at once.
Good idea or bad idea?

Comments

• You should be able to bulk reassign objects containers by simply selecting a bunch of objects, and changing their collection. You can either change the collection by pressing the m key or drag and dropping them in the outliner.

If you want to move all objects of a floor all at once, right click on the collection in the outliner and choose "Select Objects". This will select all objects in the collection and you can move them all at once.

I am in the process of decoupling the collection mechanism, so that you may choose different ways to use collections. Some users may prefer the spatial + aggregate collection by default, others may prefer a pure spatial collections, other may prefer a type based collection, and others none at all, or "freeform" collections.

Coentheoryshaw
  • edited September 2021

Thanks for the answer, I'm still struggling to find a good way to organize my Scene Collection.

theoryshaw
  • Different collections structures may co-exist, objects may be linked to more than one collection so you can use a "by type" based structure beside a "by space" one.

Coen
  • I do like the idea of parametrically driving objects, such as wall height/location, by the height of IfcBuildingStorey--and have that functionality 'burned' into the IFC schema somehow.
    Played with drivers a little here.

Coen
  • By the way, it is possible to use IfcConstraint to parametrically record these types of relationships into the IFC schema. But it's a bit down the line in the todo list :)

Coentheoryshaw
  • Just curiously requesting the status of IfcConstraint in the BlenderBIM add-on. :-)

tobenz