New 2D CAD application CadZinho

edited November 2021 in General

I just saw (and promoted on twitter) a sudden new 2D CAD package: https://github.com/zecruel/CadZinho
I've added it to https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=Getting_started_with_2D_CAD_drafting but it really needs it's own page considering how advanced it is despite only being version 0.1.0
I've tried to touch base on github (is there really no way to contact someone directly?) in this issue: https://github.com/zecruel/CadZinho/issues/14

Tagged:
Ace

Comments

• Perhaps it can import the views created using IFC.js / Blender Lineart Modifier for drawing production?

• It's quite responsive! I'll have a full go after work

• It feels strangely identical to librecad, also missing the same important features - referencing external files, layouts, ..

• Nice!! (And a Brazilian dev ;) ) I hope they come here!

Zecruel
  • edited November 2021

Hello,

I'm the lone (well, not quite) developer of CadZinho. It started as a personal learning project to develop my programming skills (and also English language skill). I do it in my spare time, kind of as a hobby. I'm not a software development professional.

So the project grew, and reached an interesting level. I know it's necessary to write the documentation, but I haven't been able to organize my time for it yet.

Well, the main objectives of CadZinho are:

• Free software: permissive license, both in its own code and in that of third parties;
    • Portable: different platforms and operating systems, no administrator privileges, few external dependencies;
    • Extensible: script language (Lua) that allows the addition of new features, automation, customization. Perhaps this is the most ambitious goal, as it intends to make CadZinho a base platform for more specialized applications.

Some features of CadZinho:

• Natively open, view, create and modify DXF files;
    • Uses the "modern" DXF standard (2007 version);
    • Supported entities: https://github.com/zecruel/CadZinho/wiki;
    • Standard colors and line weight;
    • Layer management;
    • Management and creation of blocks, including attributes;
    • Text type management, with support for SHP, SHX, TTF fonts;
    • Linetype management, with support for LIN files and complex linetypes (with shapes);
    • Hatch management, with support for PAT files
    • Exports to PDF, SVG, PS and image print formats;
    • Lua scripting language for extension, which allows configuration, macros, custom interface and custom interactive mode.

To do:

• Dimmensions;
    • Improve Lua API;
    • Layout mode (Paper or print editing mode);
    • Polyfaces (maybe 3D support?);
    JanFbrunopostleGorgiouspaulleeengfernandoAcebitacovirDarth_Blenderbasweincarlopavand 5 others.
  • CADZinho... the name is so nice....
    The brazilians understand the reference...

• edited November 2021

@Zecruel is CADZinho a fork of any existing project? There are at least three 2D CAD projects out there that deserve support, QCAD CE, LibreCAD 2.x and LibreCAD 3 (which is a completely different codebase).

@Bedson can you explain a bit more what you're talking about?

• @duncan my post references part of the hunt for a workflow using Blender to create drawings. IFC.js can generate vector based views from an IFC model that can be dimensioned etc. in 2D CAD (such as CADZhino).
    Paulo Furani (active on Twitter) has done some extensive testing. He has come up with the following workfow:
    1) Apply LineArt modifier and re-project Grease Pencil from view
    2) Convert to Bezier Curves and export with add-on leomoon-bezier2svg
    3) Open with Inkscape and export to DXF R14
    4) Import into CAD (ref CADZhino possibly) and scale drawings

• Hm this seems way too complicated, you can just use measureit arch to do annotations and export to svg and inkscape to place it on the layout and scale.

• edited November 2021

Hi @JanF Maker Tales did a good tutorial on the workflow you described.
    I also saw this interesting video about using a CAD DXF program in conjunction with Blender (any one of them would do i.e. QCAD / AutoCAD etc.)

There seems to be a lot of different workflows but HomeMakers Pyclone is the closest to producing native Blender drawings.

magicalcloud_75Nigel
  • edited November 2021

Wouldn't it be easier to export directly in dxf from Blender ?

• edited November 2021

@Bedson said:
    Hi @JanF Maker Tales did a good tutorial on the workflow you described.

Do you have a link? All I found was this:

But he only renders rasters which is not what most architects require. What I meant was exporting vector svg and referencing it in inkscape layout, so that your svg layout updates automatically when you change your drawing. I'm testing this out right now and wanted to do a tutorial, but if it exists already I don't have to.

Ace
  • Apologies @JanF I didn't realise that that was raster based. I would be very interested in your tutorial.

• @duncan said:
    @Zecruel is CADZinho a fork of any existing project? There are at least three 2D CAD projects out there that deserve support, QCAD CE, LibreCAD 2.x and LibreCAD 3 (which is a completely different codebase).

Nope, CadZinho's codebase was developed from scratch.

JanFduncan
  • @Zecruel can CADZinho work with LibreDWG? As I understand it that would give very good DWG/DXF/SVG support.

• @duncan said:
    @Zecruel can CADZinho work with LibreDWG? As I understand it that would give very good DWG/DXF/SVG support.

Neither. CadZinho and LibreDWG have different proposals, although they can even complement each other.

LibreDWG It is an interesting project (Brazilian developers too) that focuses on decoding DWG files. But it is based on the version 2000 standard, somewhat incompatible with the v2007 used in CadZinho. In addition, it lacks some features that I believe are important for the development of CadZinho.

• I think they are referring to decrypting the 2018 DWG files. This is the great merit of the project, and it could be very valuable in the future.
    But, as far as I know, the parser of graphical entities is still based on version 2000.

• Hello,

I announce the release of CadZinho version 0.2.0, available for Windows, Linux and Mac. See at: CadZinho 0.2.0

It is now possible to carry out a more complete design work (dimension tools are available), although the tools are basic and need a little more steps.

Greetings

bitacovirbrunopostleNigelAcebaswein
  • @Zecruel said:
    I announce the release of CadZinho version 0.2.0, available for Windows, Linux and Mac. See at: CadZinho 0.2.0

It looks cool!! Well done!!

• Hi @Zecruel I have downloaded CadZinho for a road test. It has a familiarity about it that I like. Keep up the good work
    I'm looking for a FOSS CAD that I can use alongside Blender, do you think it is possible to save to .Blend file so I can link/append it into Blender? It might sound like a silly idea :) but I want draw in CAD as a base for modelling in Blender
    Do you need any bugs I may find reported?

• @Zecruel excellent work! Would you be interested in writing ~300 words to feature your application as a news article on the OSArch.org homepage? It would be great to spread the word further, and that would share it with all OSArch subscribers!

• Hi @Nigel .

I'm looking for a FOSS CAD that I can use alongside Blender, do you think it is possible to save to .Blend file so I can link/append it into Blender? It might sound like a silly idea :) but I want draw in CAD as a base for modelling in Blender

I don't think it's a silly idea, but it takes a lot of work. for now, there is an official addon in Blender to import dxf files, which can help you.

Do you need any bugs I may find reported?

Oh yes, please.

Nigel
  • @Moult said:
    @Zecruel excellent work! Would you be interested in writing ~300 words to feature your application as a news article on the OSArch.org homepage? It would be great to spread the word further, and that would share it with all OSArch subscribers!

Yes, but I need to organize my writing time. I owe a decent documentation of the project.