If you're reading this, we've just migrated servers! If anything looks broken please email dion@thinkmoult.com :)

Volunteer to be part of the first OSArch Steering Committee

edited April 2023 in General

Hey everyone! As mentioned in this thread, I think the time is ripe for OSArch to take its next step and grow into something larger.

The first step to make these larger steps is to agree on a number of individuals who can make serious decisions on behalf of the OSArch community. It is not physically possible to coordinate with absolutely everyone with a fluctuating community audience, so by nominating a number of key individuals, it makes it easier to make decisions. This is not a new concept, and has been floated around the OSArch community in various channels for a while now.

In this thread, this is a call for volunteers for people who would like to be part of the 2022 OSArch Steering Committee. Here are some self-imposed rules I've come up with based on a existing discussions from others in the community.

1. You must nominate yourself. You must want to be in this role :) Nobody will force you to do it.
  2. The steering committee will only last a year, then the role expires, and we will re-nominate.
  3. You must have already participated in contributions to Free Software somewhere.
  4. We make a decision on the individuals in a month's time: Feb 15. The reasoning for this quick pace is that we expect all those taking this role to be already active on OSArch. At the same time, if we want to achieve other goals through the rest of this year we can't start too late.
  5. No more than 10 people. I made up the number 10. But the intention is that too many people make it harder to coordinate. We're growing, but we're not that large yet :)

The responsibility of the role is:

1. The top priority is creating a legal entity. We're going to work out how, where, and when. We will achieve this within 2022.
  2. We're going to make this whole leadership process a little less fuzzy than the 5 rules I made up. So next year, we've got a process that doesn't come as a surprise.
  3. If an OSArch proposal comes through that will have an impact on OSArch earning money, spending money, or the OSArch branding, or enterprise affiliation (i.e. making partnerships with OSArch and corporations), then it is your responsibility to make sure that the proposal reflects OSArch values. If they do not, you have the responsibility to "prevent" a project being associated with OSArch. When a project goes ahead, you may also be responsible for being the legal or financial contact when letters are written, or transactions are being made.
  4. It is your responsibility to ensure that OSArch decision making is never made in private. Decisions are made publicly with full participation and grace periods provided to allow community participation.

As you can see, the responsibilities are pretty restricted. Essentially nothing is changed, except that when legal association and money get involved, we now have people we can turn to who must all agree to get the final yes/no decision. Everything is still done 100% in the open.

I would like to volunteer myself to be part of this committee for the first year :)

Now it's your turn!

JanFNigelcarlopavbrunopostlebitacovirLaurensJNpaulleeJesusbillvpajicGorgiousand 4 others.

Comments

• Would like to nominate myself (peter Sande / cadgiru)
    The responsibility of the role is:
    The top priority is creating a legal entity. We're going to work out how, where, and when. We will achieve this within 2022.
    Not my expertise, but might know someone who has
    We're going to make this whole leadership process a little less fuzzy than the 5 rules I made up. So next year, we've got a process that doesn't come as a surprise.
    Agree
    If an OSArch proposal comes through that will have an impact on OSArch earning money, spending money, or the OSArch branding, or enterprise affiliation (i.e. making partnerships with OSArch and corporations), then it is your responsibility to make sure that the proposal reflects OSArch values. If they do not, you have the responsibility to "prevent" a project being associated with OSArch. When a project goes ahead, you may also be responsible for being the legal or financial contact when letters are written, or transactions are being made.
    Agree
    It is your responsibility to ensure that OSArch decision making is never made in private. Decisions are made publicly with full participation and grace periods provided to allow community participation.
    Agree

NigelcarlopavbrunopostleMoultbitacovirJesusbillvpajicCoenduncanSigmaDimensionsand 4 others.
  • Ok I'll bite, I volunteer.

Free Software experience: user, documentation writing, support, bug reporting, drive-by contributions, bikeshedding, release manager, distribution packaging, library and application development.

MoultNigelbitacovircarlopavJesusbillvpajicCoenduncanSigmaDimensionskrandeand 2 others.

• Good initiative. As things evolve I'm interested in trying to off load the historically messy process of governance to 3rd party technical platforms-- in the evolving spaces of DAO's or similar.
    I don't have all the answers, but think since OSArch is in it's early days, and generically we like hacking on things, that we are in an excellent position to test them out together.

NigelJesusbillcarlopavJanFvpajicCoenMoultduncanSigmaDimensionskrandeand 3 others.
  • Okay, I'm in. It will mean I cut down on time spent on the wiki and social media. Social media is important for our growth and reaching new people all the time. So it concerns me a bit to drop the ball on that one. Hopefully someone else will pick it up, and that's worth a discussion in this thread.

MoultNigelSigmaDimensionskrandejchkochJesusbillATomczak
  • Hey all! Very excited to see who's up for the adventure so far! Just bumping this thread as it is now early February. On Feb 15, so far, we will confirm @Moult @CadGiru @brunopostle @theoryshaw and @duncan .

duncanlukas
  • Hi all, I would like to volunteer for being part of the committee and help as I can to achieve the goals, especially setting up an organization that can bring as to the next stage, cheers.

theoryshawduncanMoultNigelCyrilchunchk
  • with Jesusbill joining that makes six. I think that's a suitable quorum, minimum six, maximum ten. I am looking forward to seeing what happens next.

• I'm free all week @theoryshaw @Moult @Jesusbill @brunopostle @CadGiru so I'd love a first meeting. Maybe just a meeting about who we each are and our motivations for being here. I don't know you all equally well. I'm really flexible for time. What timezones are we all in? I'm in CET (UTC +1)

• I'm in the UK, WET (UTC+0). Evenings, Fridays or weekends are best, but I work part-time, so can rearrange to office hours with a bit of notice.

• CET (UTC +1)

• I am CET, too; pretty flexible in general.
    Finding a suitable time across three continents will definitely be a challenge :)

• UTC-6... i'm the bastard child. ;)

• Sydney timezone, but pretty flexible, any time or day that isn't 2am :)

How about the usual Monthly meetup time/day? Does that work for everyone?

duncan
  • I think the suggestion is Saturday 20:00 UTC

• Indeed, can I tentatively propose 19th Feb, 20:00 UTC? If we don't get enough responses in time, how about 26th Feb, 20:00 UTC?

• can't on the 19th, but can on the 26th.

• I can't on the 19th, though 26th should be ok

• Ok for me 19 or 26

• Ok for me 19 or 26

• edited February 2022

OK with Saturday 26th 20.00 UTC.
    Check your timezone: https://everytimezone.com/s/5fd3cf6a

At the top of this page https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=Organization I've mentioned the steering committee and members, I would like to link to each persons wiki page where we can each write whatever we want (or nothing) about us with links etc. I can't find a wiki page for Bruno and Peter (CadGiru). I have also added two new fields to the forum profile page. It would be great if we all fill out one of them which is a link to our wiki user page. Personally I'd also like if people fill out the new field on the forum profile for 'real name' but people have different views on that.
    Connecting these profiles together and saying at least a little about who we are is all about trust and transparency.

• edited February 2022

Happy days! See you all on the Saturday 26th 20.00 UTC !

May I propose https://meet.jit.si/osarch :)

• edited February 2022

We finally got 100 stars on our Gitlab repo, https://gitlab.com/osarch/FreeMVD_WorkFlow!
    I think we now satisfy all the criteria to be fiscally hosted by the https://opencollective.com/opensource, if we still want to pursue that angle.

related conversation: https://community.osarch.org/discussion/comment/3732/#Comment_3732

MoultJesusbill
  • Bump :) See you all soon!

paulleeJesusbillduncan
  • Late to the party, but this is a great initiative!
    I have too much on my plate to participate in steering anything right now unfortunately, but excited anyway!
    We're doing something very similar at FreeCAD, trying to set things up more formally, set up a non-profit, etc.. I'll be always happy to share resources and set up common operations too.
    This is an exciting moment!

theoryshawpaulleeCadGiruduncanbitacovir
  • Great initiative guys, well done!

duncan
  • In my readings on non-profits, etc., many suggest an odd number of members. We have 6 now, any peeps out there, interested in being the 7th? @yorik? :)

• @duncan @Moult @Jesusbill @brunopostle @CadGiru
    I propose creating a publicly reviewable, matrix chatroom, dedicated to steering community discussion and conversation. Sound good?

brunopostle
  • @theoryshaw sure something like that sounds like a good idea. There's some new 'space' concept in Matrix I haven't quite explored. It seems like we can create a 'OSArch Space' and have different channels 'inside' it. If it works something like then that would seem ideal to group things inside. Like I say I haven't had a chance to look at it, it's just something I noticed. If it seems relevant ping me on Matrix and I'll look at the settings. Dion, Tetov (Anton) & I have the codes to the Matrix room.

• i think these matrix "spaces" are only personal, like folders where you can classify your rooms, but it doesn't reflect to everybody?