Internship exchange

I rarely see posts about work or internship inquiries here on the forum, so I'm not sure if this might be against the rules, if so I will delete this thread.

My name is Raban and I am in my masters year in architecture and looking for an unpaid internship. I'm having a hard time finding offices that are open-source minded and open to integrate new technological advances. I am very interested in the whole FOSS movement and have some experience with Python and Machine learning. I would be very happy if I could help an open-source oriented company during my internship and in return learn more about the topic myself. Currently I am living in Brussels but my second home is in Berlin (i wouldn't mind remote working either). If anyone knows someone who could use help, I would be very pleased to get in touch.

Comments

• Maybe you could have a look if this is relevant and interesting to you :)

• Hey @Sinasta going on right now is FOSDEM 2022 in Brussels (virtually) so maybe if you're lucky you'll find something in the FOSDEM community :)

There's also nothing wrong with just learning proprietary tools and working with others. I would recommend your first priority as a graduate to learn how to apply your skills to the built environment. Learn how to draw, go through the rites of passage (fire stairs, toilets!) draw the details and learn the building codes, work with consultants and see what other disciplines expect from you, and what they provide, and how to work together. See how others design! Don't forget the fundamental principles of good design from university and be watch out for "spreadsheet architecture" :)

Alongside this, you could be slowly trying out inserting FOSS into your workflows in your job where it fits. Most companies won't mind - it gets the job done, you're producing output, who cares how it was done :)

We'll always be here to provide support!

carlopav
  • There don't seem to be positions right now in Berlin but take a look at https://henninglarsen.com/en/careers/jobs-folder/are-you-our-next-talent
    HLA is FOSS friendly (I'm working on that project from the inside)

• edited February 2022

You could join to IFC.js project https://ifcjs.github.io/info/ The guys there are working with companies with interest on FOSS. They could know about possible positions.

• Thank you for the suggestions. You have helped me a lot.

• edited February 2022

Hi, @Sinasta, we (OpeningDesign) might need some help. Do you know how to use Blender, or better yet BlenderBIM? How about Revit?
    Most of our work is done in Revit still, but we're teasing out certain workflows with BlenderBIM--namely modeling large scale details, like these, in BlenderBIM and FreeCAD, and annotating them, like this, in Revit.
    Annotating them in BlenderBIM is not far off, however, i feel.

• oh, btw, i don't believe interns should work for free.

CoenNigelpaulleeduncan
  • Hi @theoryshaw I am very happy about your answer. I have been following your work with interest on Twitter and Github for some time now. Unfortunately, my studies focus less on digital work and more on hand drawing. Therefore I try to learn as much as possible about Blenderbim besides my studies. I will send you an application email to OpenDesign with more details at the beginning of this week. Thank you for your reply.