[BlenderBIM] bulk edit of properties in set via CSV import

edited July 2022 in General

Dear BlenderBIM-Community,
I have an pretty big project where I need to add (and reguarly update the values of) 3 new property sets to all objects with the CSV-import/export. I have added the pset manually to all walls (but without values fo the properties). The import of the CSV does not seem to work if I try to add values for the properties that do not yet have a defined value. Changing pset values that already exist in an object is not a problem.
The error message:

Question: Is there an other way then to add "dummy" values for every property set to all objects before i can bulk edit them?
If that is the case: Is there a way to do so in an easy way? Like adding the pset itself by selection worked? I would like to avoid having to do this manually with >20000 objects. I suspect i could to it with svershok or scripting but I am not experinced with these...
I am thankful for every advice!

Comments

• The following 3 options are workflows I've performed to solve the same issue as you:
    1. Write a script that loops through all relevant objects in Blender and adds a pset with properties and dummy values
    2. Create and assign a pset-template to all relevant objects
    3. Create element types with standard psets and values that I then assign to all relevant objects

Maybe @Coen 's spreadsheet addon also offers a 4th option?

• edited July 2022

I tried assigning a pset template but without exisiting values for the specific properties the csv import does not work. I assume the values need to be something else than "null".
    Could you explain how to assign an element type with pset (containing concrete "dummy" values) to multiple objects in Blender?
    Otherwise I will try to convince a collegue that is experienced in scripting to write me a script to do it. I just hoped to be able to avoid this, as he is not experienced in IFCs structure.
    I will also check out @Coen 's spreadsheet addon, but judging from the avaiable information I doubt it can be used this way.
    Thanks a lot for your answer!

• @vpajic @DavidE
    My idea is to add this kind of functionality to this spreadsheet add-on one day. I want to competely refactor it one day so it could be merged with BlenderBIM. However life keeps getting in the way.

• @DavidE - Have you tried using the bulk property editor?
    1. Select all the objects you want to edit
    2. Create a new pset and properties, for the values use a "Dummy" value
    3. Save your ifc file

CoenDavidE
  • @DavidE you can also edit existing properties, you just need to type in the existing pset and property name.

• And here's an example using property set templates. This is my preferred route if the properties you're using should be standardized.

CoenDavidEGorgiousJohn
  • @vpajic Thanks a lot! I did not know about this feature and it works perfectly!

vpajicGorgious
  • edited March 26

Hi, can you use this to change these values?

I could change e.g. the Pset_WindowCommon and then the IsExternal boolean perfectly, but I want to be able to change the attributes. If possible, what should I put there?

Also, when I select this, if you have a small screen you cant see the last row. If it is scrollable, how do you do it? mouse wheel and shift + mouse wheel or other combinations don't move the screen.

• edited March 26

About your last screenshot @jes_r unfortunately I think this is a limitation of very long enum properties, AFAIK you can't scroll this popup panel. If you know the name of your property you can click on the looking glass icon on the right of the field which will let you type in the letters an pull up a scroll list of suggestions.

JanF
  • @Gorgious said:
    If you know the name of your property you can click on the looking glass icon on the right of the field which will let you type in the letters an pull up a scroll list of suggestions.

Ah okay thanks, so I guess you could type in Ifc[R-Z] to see what they are if you don't know.