Share Blender Model with Client

We are looking for an easy way to share 3D models with our clients.
I'm thinking Blender>BlenderBIM>IFC>IFC.js would be a good pathway.
Has anyone done this?

Comments

• Why not just sent the .ifc file....?

• @Coen said:
    Why not just sent the .ifc file....?

This is for visualization purposes and often our clients are not good with computers so we are thinking a URL they can click on and spin a model around would work. It would be even better if they could turn elements on and off etc.

• This is for visualization purposes and often our clients are not good with computers so we are thinking a URL they can click on and spin a model around would work. It would be even better if they could turn elements on and off etc.

I think there are many options out there for IFC in the browser :-), but the thing is that it will need a server with additional costs etcerera..

It would be even better if they could turn elements on and off etc.

In my opinion BIMCollabZoom is the best for this with smartviews...the free standalone version allows for end users to make pre-defined smartviews which you can sent along with the IFC model. The client only has to install BimCollabZoom... Which I think is quite straightforward...

• @Coen said:
    In my opinion BIMCollabZoom

Thanks I'll check it out.

• https://www.meshlab.net/
    Open Source solution. You can either directly share in Meshlab, or convert your Blender model to a 3D PDF-friendly format and import that in a suitable PDF-program. I'm not sure there are open source PDF-programs out there that can handle 3D content though, does anyone know any? The major closed source PDF-programs can handle 3D content, however (meaning that you can view/manipulate/orbit/spin/pan/zoom/measure/annotate the 3D model inside a PDF).
    Would be really nice to have a 3D-PDF friendly export option in Blender itself.

Arv
  • Thanks @Humba. The 3D pdf sounds interesting.

• What I think I will end up doing is to export the blender model to GLTF .glb file. Share it with the client. And have them open
    it up with https://www.gltfviewer.com/. The website doesn't seem to be maintained but does the things I want. Anyone used it before?

• I mean I just use the ifc.js demo for quick ifc viewing, I guess you could try that?

• @baswein thank you for starting this conversation, I have been following it with interest. I haven't had success applying textures that 'stick' to the IFC and appear in an external viewer, maybe the process is more complicated than I imagine?