OSArch wiki management

edited April 2021 in General

It seems the bots have worked out the colour of George Washington's favourite black horse.

I don't have the time to watch the wiki history and fight the bots, but would very much like to continue letting the Wiki be open to all contributors.

So, looking for:

1. Some captcha question suggestions I can put to replace the horse one
  2. Somebody who wants admin rights to manage the wiki. Preferably somebody who has already contributed to the wiki. In particular, they need to watch the recent changes for bots every so often. Happy to share the load - basically if you have time, go for it, if not, no worries.

And yes, I've installed some of the typical antispam measures (public blacklists, captcha, invisible robot checker thing). Happy to try more if there are suggestions.

Tagged:
magicalcloud_75

Comments

• The previous state where one had to register to edit would have limited the problem of the bots or not?
    If yes, I feel it was a better solution. It was still open to anyone who wanted to contribute, just had to take a small extra effort

• @Jesusbill unfortunately, the bots are registering accounts :(

Jesusbill
  • What we had to do at FreeCAD unfortunately is close account creation (only admins can create accounts)... Mediawiki apparently had not much else to offer as a solution

• @Moult said:
    2. Somebody who wants admin rights to manage the wiki. Preferably somebody who has already contributed to the wiki. In particular, they need to watch the recent changes for bots every so often. Happy to share the load - basically if you have time, go for it, if not, no worries.

It could be a good way to contribute for people which don't want to contribute on code.
    It could be great to create a page how to contribute on wiki and maybe also have it as a side topic during monthly meetup. Many people including non programmers seems to know how to contribute but some might not know. How to bring constructive ideas. How to formulate constructive and respectful criticism. Tools to build and present a process without programming (UML, slideshow, other…).
    I can help on wiki spam management but I will honestly not check often.

• @Cyril it is a very good idea to create a "how to contribute page". I've started one here. It is inspired from the KDE "how to contribute" page.

Cyril
  • I wonder who made this change? :) Rolling back...

Jesusbill
  • @Moult I can also help with the management of the wiki, count me in

• @Jesusbill you're now an admin. Have fun!

• In particular, they need to watch the recent changes for bots every so often

Just to be sure I just click on "Recent changes" from the Navigation menu and I can see all changes made for all pages, right?

• @Jesusbill yep :) I did a clean-up already, so you should see that I've deleted a bunch of pages / accounts recently. There is a little exclamation mark to let you know if there is a change that hasn't been "patrolled" - that way if you wish to ensure you've audited everything, it helps to guide you as a todo list.

Jesusbill