BB Type selection interface

edited May 2023 in General

:)

@Gorgious , relative to this commit, why not just turn the type on, and select it?

On import I think we should have the 'Types' collection turned on, and all the child types turned off. And when bim.select_type is selected it turns on the type and makes it active.

thoughts?

Comments

• Hey thanks for following on that ;) I've thought about this today as a matter of fact ! After using it a bit it would make more sense that if the user presses the button, the addon does all the legwork to select it. Unfortunately a hidden object can't be selected in Blender, so we have to make a compromise here. There is also the problem that there are a number of ways an object cannot be selected. Any and all of these :

• It isn't linked to any collection in the current view layer
    • All the collections it is linked to are excluded (checkbox)
    • All the collections it is linked to are temporarily hidden (eye icon)
    • All the collections it is linked to are hidden (monitor icon)
    • All the collections it is linked to are unselectable (cursor icon)
    • It is hidden temporarily (eye icon)
    • It is hidden globally (monitor icon)
    • It is unselectable globally (cursor icon) :

In a perfect world I think it would be nice to be able to use the BlenderBIM addon without an Outliner editor open, at least for simple inspection tasks.

Although I would use the monitor icon which is the "permanent" hide setting. I think we don't want users to unintenionally un-hide types with ALT+H if they don't want to. I would also deactivate the "Types" collection render flag so they don't appear in renders.

One question though, does the object type stay un-hidden when the user selects another element ? If they select another type, when the other type gets shown, does it hide the other one ? It would make sense to me, however it should only happen in the case where there is only 1 type object un-hidden, otherwise it may hide things that the user doesn't want to.

Coen
  • One question though, does the object type stay un-hidden when the user selects another element ?

I would leave it up to the user to 'hide' it manually.
    There might be times someone might want to view multiple types at one time.

• There is also the problem that there are a number of ways an object cannot be selected. Any and all of these :

defer to you. :)