3rd October 20:00 UTC Monthly Meetup!

edited November 2020 in General

It's nearing monthly meetup time again! I promise I won't sleep through it this time! :) Please add your name to the list!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19EzmthOp5hGYFTZCgOIm51n7hvcp_F8nB_XLYeTJ0zU/edit#gid=0

Edit: the main presentation will be about Open Source Ecology by Marcin Jakubowski.

Future potential topics as a brainstorm:

• BIMTester and MicroMVDs
  • What's new in FreeCAD (@yorik ?)
  • Ladybug and Pollination cloud? (Maybe? @mostapha )
  • Home Builder for Blender (@Andyrexic) (not to be confused with Homemaker by @brunopostle )
Tagged:
paullee

Comments

• JQLJQL
    edited September 2020

Wasn't @topologic going to present last time and then postponed to October meetup?

I would love to see the possibilities of that and also sverchock and ladybug tools. Topologic for sverchock and ladybug for sverchock would really turn BlenderBIM into an even more serious contender in the AEC arena once everything matures.

I'm already learning blender from ground up... I'm not feeling it's better modelling than SketchUp yet but who knows what future will bring. Visual programming modelling would really make the balance shift.

I'm getting more and more appreciative of this community's work as I get to know what's happening.

• @JQL @topologic has already presented two meetings ago: https://peertube.social/videos/watch/e8173fef-5d26-4d8b-98c2-400b095f9c81 - hope the recording helps shed some light!

• Sorry then. I will check them.

• edited September 2020

@Moult said:
    - What's new in FreeCAD (@yorik ?)

I haven't seen much progress in Arch and BIM in the last months; it seems Yorik has been extremely busy with his personal commitments. However, in the grand scheme of things, Autodesk's Fusion360 software is changing its licensing terms in October, so that has made interest in FreeCAD skyrocket. Most hobby users tend to be interested in 3D printing and CNC, however, not architecture.

So, right now, there seems to be an opportunity to catch more users, particularly if you can offer an alternative to Fusion360. People are apparently craving for "Migrate from Fusion360 to ____ " guides.

• @vocx very cool! What if the meetup could be about modeling complex parametric solids in FreeCAD? That would cater well to the new influx of those looking for tutorials? Who is the most experienced modeler from the FreeCAD community who can help present this?

• https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/in2af8/freecad_and_blender_are_a_doing_a_great_work/

I wrote a post in reddit talking about FreeCAD and Blender vs Revit, was good received but there a lot of people coincided in than is hard to use and migrate to FreeCAD and Blender, this because are not very user friendly, for example, the worse for new users is than is hard find a tutorial because both programs are changing their interface each new release, in such reddit post the user than are interested in migrate want similar workflow to AutoCAD, Fusion, Solidwork, etc, something like FreeCAD and their multiple view option.

A good topic for their next meetup could be how do our open software more user and other programs friendly. This because when I tried talk about this problem with developers in their respective forums I found a closed to suggests environment.

If I could suggest something could be give to user multiple workflow to choice for a easy migration emulating privative environment, create compiler for externals script languages to python, a unified universal modular method to use add-on or script in blender and freecad, talk directly to with developers to help to user than are migrating since multiple privative software, open post in different forums to talk directly with the user to ask what they want for migrate, help other programs to.development a Python API for intergration with Blender and FreeCAD.

Well, is just an idea.

• Reminder that we had extended an invitation to Marcin Jakubowski to talk about the work being done by Open Source Ecology, I checked with him today and he's still on for the 3rd.

• Ah yes, and Vi-sense, who was going to talk a few sessions ago, is also available on the third. It seems we are double booked! Given that Vi-sense was delayed, and that Marcin was already booked first, I think it makes sense to let Marcin present. Thoughts?

• @Moult said:
    Ah yes, and Vi-sense, who was going to talk a few sessions ago, is also available on the third. It seems we are double booked! Given that Vi-sense was delayed, and that Marcin was already booked first, I think it makes sense to let Marcin present. Thoughts?

Sounds good, Open Source Ecology looks very interesting

• Cheers, @DADA_universe can you re-confirm with Marcin and ask him to add his details to the spreadsheet? Then we can probably start advertising :)

• @Moult said:
    Cheers, @DADA_universe can you re-confirm with Marcin and ask him to add his details to the spreadsheet? Then we can probably start advertising :)

Yes he has confirmed and filled the spreadsheet.

JesusbillMoult
  • Appears to be a full session, but if something falls through I can always give a short presentation on Home Builder for Blender. I just created a post about it here. https://community.osarch.org/discussion/221/home-builder-for-blender

CyrilcarlopavMoultJesusbillJQLstephen_lDADA_universe
  • Hi all, been a bit quiet, but got some time again now.
    I've updated the wiki: https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=Monthly_Meetup#Next_Meetup
    I would like to encourage someone other than @Moult to put themselves forward as coordinator for the monthly meetups. If you ask me, I think he has taken enough on his shoulders for OSArch, I'd rather let him get on with coding. I'm happy to be one of the people to manage the discussion when I'm there, I enjoy keeping a meeting focused and getting through an agenda. But I'm focusing on the website (where I see @JanF has made some good changes to the front page. Nice work)
    Volunteer coordinator(s)? Just someone who makes sure there is a plan each month - and updates that page on the wiki for each new meeting. I want to be able to link to that page on the wiki when I mention it on LinkedIn ... but that's not so useful if we don't keep it up to date.

Moultpaullee
  • @duncan I can certainly take care of the wiki for each meetup and help with coordination where needed, I already did that sometimes in the past and I typically take care of the recording. And I agree that it is better to have a coordinator of the discussion during the meetup so that it flows better, I think you are the man for this job and hopefully we can have also a second volunteer when needed, personally I am not so good in that so I'd prefer not.

JanFpaullee
  • @Moult Max from vi-sense here. that's fine I can present another day. what would be the next slot available?

• Hi @moethu, I am Ioannis and I am coordinating the monthly meetups. The next slot would be for the meetup of Saturday 7th of November at 20:00 UTC. Would that date work for you?

• Yes @Jesusbill , works for me.

JesusbillCGRcarlopav
  • Great Max! Thanks, it is official, you will make the keynote presentation for the meetup of November. Looking forward to it!

• edited October 2020

@Moult I can take care of the reminder email for the meetup, sounds good?

• @Jesusbill thanks so much! I saw the email come through :)

Jesusbill
  • There is some daylight savings time happening so I hope I'll get the time right :)

• @Moult said:
    There is some daylight savings time happening so I hope I'll get the time right :)

The idea is to send the reminder "exactly" 24 hours before so that one gets a tip of the actual time in his timezone.
    I may add the word "exactly" in the next reminder

• Who talked about helping refugees? I'm interested in help if there'd be a project
    Also, could you please share the solution you used for time conversion?
    Ping @Jesusbill

• @ReD_CoDE Dion made a question whether Marcin has reached out to refugee camp planning organizations (look at around 56 min).

Also, could you please share the solution you used for time conversion?

It is everytimezone.com

ReD_CoDE
  • edited October 2020

@marcin_ose I should had learnt about this project probably some time when @yorik introduced his wikihouse project in FreeCAD forum / or otherwise in his blog.
    Just curious / couldn't remember if any modules, furnitures or parts library the Open Source Ecology project had made and available for use in FreeCAD or BlenderBIM etc.
    Thanks.

• "Start from the beginning" - GOLD statement!!!. Sorry could not join this meeting.

• We have FreeCAD part libraries for some things - and full SweetHome3D technical design at https://wiki.opensourceecology.org/wiki/Seed_Eco-Home_Part_Library

bitacovirJesusbillDarth_Blender