FreeMVD - A place to hash out simple IFC roundtripping between FreeCAD and Revit.

edited September 2022 in General

Just wanted to share with the community.

As part of our exploration on rountripping a simplified subset of the IFC schema for OpeningDetail and OpeningDesign projects, @yorik and I started the following repo to save our various experiments over the years.

As you'll see it's very much a work in progress. Feel free to add, mod, and refine.

Tagged:
DADA_universeAce

Comments

• As the tagline indicates, "...Hopefully, in the future, the FreeMVD will become more platform agnostic--applying to other BIM platforms as well."

• I have to ask, why are you looking at roundtripping between two applications? I wondering if the focus could be on roundtripping with a common data environment / BIMserver type setup? Or is that what is implied by the name FreeMVD - is this a strict IFC based process without extensions?

• Freecad is a solid modeller and blender is a mesh based modeller. Getting IFC files to round trip between these very different systems without data loss is a good test of interoperability.

• edited May 2020

FreeCAD is a solid modeler that as far as I know always ends up with B-Rep and Blender is a Polygonal mesh-based modeler
    @duncan asked an important question. You can't produce FreeMVD without having a whole IDM (which bSI works/worked on new IDM which is suitable for ISO19650 and will come 2021)
    This is why I opened up IfcXtreme project, indeed IfcXtreme is an IDM Toolkit/Configurator and even more (It's a distributed federated decentralized CDE)

P.S: They introduced IDM Toolkit/Configurator which was based on BPMN, so when they saw I talk about "domain-specific modeling tools," they stopped and I think they've started to pivot, maybe it comes based on UML or something newer)

• I wondering if the focus could be on roundtripping with a common data environment / BIMserver type setup?

I'm open to this, as well, but I like the idea of decentralized version tracking better.

• edited September 2022

As many of you know, the FreeMVD repo has been relocated here.
    Recently I've added a lot of commented-out IFC examples, I've found out in the wild.
    If you ever wonder how a certain IFC entity is used, you can use the following search to see commented-out files that show how the entity is used in the hierarchy of other entities.
    https://sourcegraph.com/search?q=context:global+IFCRELASSIGNSTOPRODUCT+repo:^gitlab\.com/osarch/FreeMVD_WorkFlow$+file:commented&patternType=standard
    To change the search, just replace IFCRELASSIGNSTOPRODUCT with the entity you're looking for.

The commented out files look like this.
    You can actually download these files, and they still import into applications. So they are good conducting trial/error experiments on.

FYI, you can comment-out your own IFC files using the following tool...
    https://github.com/OpeningDesign/ifc-commenter
    Per usual, if you'd like to add/modify this FreeMVD repo, please do so. This is constantly evolving.

duncan
  • I have a look at the gitlab, is it supposed to provide some example IFC files and let peoples to test roundtripping and report in the gitlab?
    It seems there is, except the first rectangle extrusion, there is not test for FreeCAD. Version of FreeCAD tested was not reported.
    https://gitlab.com/osarch/FreeMVD_WorkFlow/-/blob/master/IFC_roundtrip_specifications.md#results

• I have a look at the gitlab, is it supposed to provide some example IFC files and let peoples to test roundtripping and report in the gitlab?

You can provide the example files as well.

It seems there is, except the first rectangle extrusion, there is not test for FreeCAD. Version of FreeCAD tested was not reported.
    https://gitlab.com/osarch/FreeMVD_WorkFlow/-/blob/master/IFC_roundtrip_specifications.md#results

Yes, there's a lot of gaps like this. Always looking for collaborators. :)

paullee