Blender-OSM development news

Blender-OSM is an open-source addon for Blender that creates city environments out of OpenStreetMap data. The addon source code is hosted on Github: the development version, the release version. To fund the addon development a version with assets is sold at https://gumroad.com/l/blosm.

Here we'd like to share some the development news that may be of interest for the OSArch Community.

duncanMoultCyrildimitar

Comments

• edited April 2021

We implemented the calculation of facade visibility from neighbor streets. That will be used later to assign an appropriate texture or a mesh for front, side and back facades. Green color on the image: facade is totally visible, red: facade is invisible, black: shared building wall. The other colors are used for in-between visibility states.

That feature can be used without even installing Blender.

Installation

• Download the addon code base from here
    • Unpack it
    • Rename the top folder from blosm-facade_visibility_demo to blosm
    • Install some common Python packages:
      • pip install scipy
      • pip install mathutils
      • pip install matplotlib

Usage

To visualize facade visibility for a local OpenStreetMap file:

cd /path/to/blosm
    python -m script.command_line --buildings --highways --setupScript setup/mpl_facade_visibility.py --osmFilepath /path/to/your/file.osm

To visualize facade visibility for OpenStreetMap data from the server

cd /path/to/blosm
    python -m script.command_line --buildings --highways --setupScript setup/mpl_facade_visibility.py --osmDir /path/to/folder/for/downloaded/osm/data --coords 13.42697,52.51586,13.44132,52.52046

Replace coordinates after the --coords flag with coordinates of your area. The format of the coordinates is min_longitude,min_latitude,max_longitude,max_latitude

bitacovir
  • edited April 2021

This should go in Software Directory/GIS, but really is it for Blender 2.79? What about Blender 2.8x cycle?

• I wonder, if it isn't too much trouble, if Topologic might be a good thing to use in Blender-OSM. It sounds suitable for the type of analysis you're doing, and OSM shapes seem quite suitable for it. Have you considered it?

Also, I think it'd be great to present Blender-OSM in an OSArch Monthly Meetup! It is an absolutely great tool!

prochitecture
  • This should go in Software Directory/GIS, but really is it for Blender 2.79? What about Blender 2.8x cycle?

Blender 2.79 isn't supported anymore since Blender 2.8 was released nearly 2 years ago. Here is the link to the last version of the Blender-OSM addon that worked on Blender 2.79.
    The addon also works on the upcoming Blender 2.93

bitacovir
  • I wonder, if it isn't too much trouble, if Topologic might be a good thing to use in Blender-OSM. It sounds suitable for the type of analysis you're doing, and OSM shapes seem quite suitable for it. Have you considered it?

Unfortunately, installation of Topologic and TopologicPy isn't user friendly at the moment. I doubt the installation would work under Blender taking into account the large user base of the Blender-OSM addon.

Also, I think it'd be great to present Blender-OSM in an OSArch Monthly Meetup! It is an absolutely great tool!

Thank you for the invitation! I have enough material to present. I'll apply for a presentation slot.

stephen_lJesusbill