BlenderBim Create drawing

edited June 2021 in General

With Blender 2.93, BlenderBIM 0.0.210605, Win10.
When trying to 'Create Drawing', I get

Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\peter\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.93\scripts\addons\blenderbim\bim\module\drawing\operator.py", line 100, in execute
annotation_svg = self.generate_annotation(context)
File "C:\Users\peter\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.93\scripts\addons\blenderbim\bim\module\drawing\operator.py", line 332, in generate_annotation
svg_writer.write("annotation")
File "C:\Users\peter\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.93\scripts\addons\blenderbim\bim\module\drawing\svgwriter.py", line 66, in write
self.add_markers()
File "C:\Users\peter\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.93\scripts\addons\blenderbim\bim\module\drawing\svgwriter.py", line 88, in add_markers
for child in root.getchildren():
AttributeError: 'xml.etree.ElementTree.Element' object has no attribute 'getchildren'

What am I doing wrong?
Prerequisites?
Found error, Annotation was on but no annotation contained in ifc file

Comments

• Getting the same issue, as far as i'm aware it's just constantly changing and quite unstable portion while @Moult focuses on the some other aspects for now, they just added the wall drawing tool which is amazing! and the UI was changed for that drawing generation portion so I think he will get to it, the scheduling and costing aspects were crazy extensive additions and took some time.

duncan
  • yeah, Drawing functionality is in limbo at the time being.

Ace
  • Yes, sorry about that. To be specific, I believe the current work is done by @aothms in allowing IfcConvert (the engine for drawing generation) to be accessible via Python with a lot more control over the process. Right now, the new drawing generation workflow is being prototyped, and only works in very controlled circumstances.

AceDarth_Blendercarlopav
  • @Moult @aothms @theoryshaw
    Have been playing with some very simple cols and beams in order to grasp the intent of how to produce drawings, sadly not much success.
    Is there any way we can test / read prerequisites for controlling the environment?
    Does anyone have a working example we can study to try and grasp the intent?

• Depending on the timeline for IfcConvert to be available in Python, can we wait perhaps at least until the next release?

• @Moult said:
    Depending on the timeline for IfcConvert to be available in Python, can we wait perhaps at least until the next release?

Sure... Just eager to make a go of it, and hopefully contribute in some way..

Bedson
  • edited November 2023

Good morning. When I try to create some elevation drawings I get “An unkwown error occurred” report. Only one elevation (West Elevation) has been successful. I had same problem with creating some of the sections but when I deleted and created the section views again it worked but for the other three elevations it doesn’t work even after deleting and recreating them except the West Elevation. I even uninstalled and updated BB to yesterday’s version but same error surfaces as below;

Looking forward to your help.

• @Owura_qu hi! Can you please report it to https://github.com/IfcOpenShell/IfcOpenShell/issues and attach example .ifc to reproduce the issue?

• edited November 2023

@Owura_qu hi! Can you please report it to https://github.com/IfcOpenShell/IfcOpenShell/issues and attach example .ifc to reproduce the issue?

I have reported with the attached file on GitHub https://github.com/IfcOpenShell/IfcOpenShell/issues/4029. Thank you.

• edited December 2023

Hi all. I have a problem activating a drawing view for both my Ground and Second Floor Plans. It gives me "RuntimeError: Failed to process shape", and the cut 2D representation for the entire plan is not generated as below;

However, when I try to activate the drawing for the First Floor Plan it can generate the cut 2D representation for the plan without any error message.
    Now again, when I come back to both the Ground and Second Floor plans, I am able to activate the drawing but with the "RuntimeError: Failed to process shape" as below;

Two things I have observed;
    1. The "RuntimeError: Failed to process shape" makes a reference to "...representation...apply openings..." in the message as highlighted in the first screenshot. I don't know if that matters and how I can debug or find that opening?
    2. All the space annotations (e.g. room tags) I have in the Ground Floor Plan cannot be seen in the view. I only see the tags when I create a drawing (to .svg).
    3. Anytime I restart the drawing it's only when I activate drawing for the First Floor Plan first that I am able to be successful trying the Ground and the Second.
    Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

• edited December 2023
    1. The "RuntimeError: Failed to process shape" makes a reference to "...representation...apply openings..." in the message as highlighted in the first screenshot. I don't know if that matters and how I can debug or find that opening?

Try to run the following..

You'll get a report like this from the system console. Make sure you `Window > Toggle the System Console' to see the report.

Search with the step id in the following.. and then select the offending object and delete it.
    If offending object is an ifcopeningelement, and the ifcopeningelement is no longer associated with a wall/other, I'm not sure how to 'find' them and delete them. I have a few projects with orphan ifcopeningelements, but they don't seem to cause problems.

The other approach I like using when debugging things like this are to move the drawing's camera so it only shows a small portion of what you want to print. If the drawing runs successfully I move the camera to cover more of the drawing. I keep doing this until it doesn't run anymore, and then I can usually deduce what the problematic object is. If not, i just selectively delete stuff until the drawing runs again.
    Also too, you can adjust the camera's depth too, too narrow down the offending object.

1. All the space annotations (e.g. room tags) I have in the Ground Floor Plan cannot be seen in the view. I only see the tags when I create a drawing (to .svg).

Not totally sure what the problem is, but it could be related to this...
    https://github.com/IfcOpenShell/IfcOpenShell/issues/4134#issue-2049319776
    and @Andrej730's script might help.

1. Anytime I restart the drawing it's only when I activate drawing for the First Floor Plan first that I am able to be successful trying the Ground and the Second.

Didn't quite follow this. :) Can you rephrase?

ArvJanFAce
    1. Anytime I restart the drawing it's only when I activate drawing for the First Floor Plan first that I am able to be successful trying the Ground and the Second.
      Didn't quite follow this. :) Can you rephrase?

When I restart the drawing I cannot activate the Ground and Second Floor Plans unless I do the First Floor Plan first.

I will try all the suggestions you have made. Thank you.

• Search with the step id in the following.. and then select the offending object and delete it.
    If offending object is an ifcopeningelement, and the ifcopeningelement is no longer associated with a wall/other, I'm not sure how to 'find' them and delete them. I have a few projects with orphan ifcopeningelements, but they don't seem to cause problems.

Thank you very much it worked😊. 10 items (the Empty Plain Axes) attached to the 8 railings and 2 stairs. As to how they came attached to the stairs and railings I have no idea. Surprisingly not related to ifcopeningelements as I thought. Very much grateful for your help.