If you're reading this, we've just migrated servers! If anything looks broken please email dion@thinkmoult.com :)

BlenderBIM: change IFC parameters of multiple objects at the same time

edited April 2021 in General

Is it possible to change IFC parameters of multiple objects at the same time?
I tried the 'alt' key.

CyrilLaurensJNbitacovirCoen

Comments

• edited September 2021

I would also like to know this. I am also really confused on how to use the IFC Search panel.

I like to know the best practice for selecting multiple objects by specific properties (for example name/type) and assigning them new properties.

• Assigning new parametric geometry properties in bulk is not yet possible. However, for the majority of cases of extrusions, just modify them as regular meshes. The BlenderBIM Add-on should auto detect that you have edited the mesh, and work out the new extrusion depths automatically from your visual edit.

@Coen the search system needs a refresh to build complex search sets, saved searches, and visual search queries. However, as it stands the first input lets you search by a GlobalId 22 character string, the second by an IFC class (e.g. IfcDoor), the third by attribute (e.g. Name, Foo), the fourth by Property Set (e.g. Pset Name, Property Name, Property Value). Upon pressing the search it will select those matching your search, which you can then zoom / isolate using regular Blender features.

Coen
  • edited September 2021

@Moult said:
    @Coen the search system needs a refresh to build complex search sets, saved searches, and visual search queries. However, as it stands the first input lets you search by a GlobalId 22 character string, the second by an IFC class (e.g. IfcDoor), the third by attribute (e.g. Name, Foo), the fourth by Property Set (e.g. Pset Name, Property Name, Property Value). Upon pressing the search it will select those matching your search, which you can then zoom / isolate using regular Blender features.

Maybe you already know about the search capabilities of BimCollabZoom? They call it smartviews, and it generates XML files which you can import into other BIMCollabZoom sessions. I think it's very similar in how Solibri does it (But I never used Solibri) . Would be great to see something similar in BlenderBIM. The IfcPatch tool you made already seems to go in that direction.

A very intuitive interface I think, you can keep on adding sets and combine them. Or color code them. The use of operators is very convenient as well to search by name/type. Because poor IFC models often have everything exported as IfcBuildingElementProxy.

They store the Smart Views in the search panel to be double clicked.

It generates this XML file. Which can be used in other BimCollabZoom sessions. BimCollabZoom calls them SmartView Sets.
    No idea how much work it is to create something similar like this in BlenderBIM? Or maybe someone already started with a different approach?

<SMARTVIEWSET>
            <TITLE>my_own_smart_view</TITLE>
            <DESCRIPTION></DESCRIPTION>
            <GUID>9f1bfae7-e62a-4151-9d24-8af3243c3325</GUID>
            <MODIFICATIONDATE>2021-09-15T07:03:54</MODIFICATIONDATE>
            <SMARTVIEWS>
                <SMARTVIEW>
                    <TITLE>filter_all_building_element_proxy_by_name</TITLE>
                    <DESCRIPTION></DESCRIPTION>
                    <CREATOR>Coen</CREATOR>
                    <CREATIONDATE>2021-09-15T07:00:28</CREATIONDATE>
                    <MODIFIER>Coen</MODIFIER>
                    <MODIFICATIONDATE>2021-09-15T07:03:54</MODIFICATIONDATE>
                    <GUID>91acd069-a9a4-40f5-8293-576c4c8c6fef</GUID>
                    <RULES>
                        <RULE>
                            <IFCTYPE>Other</IFCTYPE>
                            <PROPERTY>
                                <NAME>Name</NAME>
                                <PROPERTYSETNAME>Summary</PROPERTYSETNAME>
                                <TYPE>Summary</TYPE>
                                <VALUETYPE>StringValue</VALUETYPE>
                                <UNIT>None</UNIT>
                            </PROPERTY>
                            <CONDITION>
                                <TYPE>Is</TYPE>
                                <VALUE>vuren_71x221_C18</VALUE>
                            </CONDITION>
                            <ACTION>
                                <TYPE>Add</TYPE>
                            </ACTION>
                        </RULE>
                    </RULES>
                    <INFORMATIONTAKEOFF>
                        <PROPERTYSETNAME>None</PROPERTYSETNAME>
                        <PROPERTYNAME>None</PROPERTYNAME>
                        <OPERATION>0</OPERATION>
                    </INFORMATIONTAKEOFF>
                </SMARTVIEW>
            </SMARTVIEWS>
        </SMARTVIEWSET>
    </SMARTVIEWSETS>

• @Moult said:
    Assigning new parametric geometry properties in bulk is not yet possible. However, for the majority of cases of extrusions, just modify them as regular meshes. The BlenderBIM Add-on should auto detect that you have edited the mesh, and work out the new extrusion depths automatically from your visual edit.

I see, very nice, already very useful.

• Adding a colour legend would also be fantastic !

• @Coen - I was thinking of experimenting with collections. You could run a script or create an operator that could generate collections of "smart-views" that you could later filter/colour as you wish.

• For a bit of closure on this, editing parameters of multiple objects can now be done in edit mode simply by moving the vertices. The BlenderBIM Add-on will detect the new distances automatically and update the parametric shape. This works on any object from any vendor, so long as they follow the established conventions of IFC extrusion axes. (i.e. profiled extrusions are in +Z).

I've love to see a more advanced search set / saved searches feature. @chunchk did a great job recently with a new filter feature (like Revit's element Filter) so perhaps more work can be built up on that.

theoryshawCoen