[Topologic] I'm hitting a wall :(

edited July 2022 in General

I have made this model, attached, to do some heating calculations
I have been trying to use Topologic to do what I want by watching Wasim's tutorial and customising it for my own purposes.
So far, I'm failing, I am hoping I can get a little help to get me heading in the right direction.

I want to get these outputs:
1 area of CeilingToExternal
2 area of CeilingToInternal
3 area of CeilingToInterTenancy
4 area of WallToExternal
5 area of WallToInternal
6 area of WallToInterTenancy
7 area of FloorToExternal
8 area of FloorToInternal
9 area of FloorToInterTenancy
10 volume of the space
11 area sum of OpeningWindowType.??? and OpeningDoorTypes.???

I would like to display all the above in Blender and export to a CSV

I am really grateful for any insights the community can offer

Tagged:
nikitron

Comments

• Hi @Nigel, I don't know how much I can help, but I'll give it a try.
    From what I understood, it is very straightforward because you already have each part of the model as a separated object. I made an example using just WallToExternal and WallToInternal.

And for the volume you can select all the objects that enclose the space, create a cell and then get the volume.

Is that what you are trying to achieve?

• @bruno_perdigao said:
    Hi @Nigel, I don't know how much I can help, but I'll give it a try>

Thank you Bruno, I'll try this evening, it is really helpful to compare with my node tree to understand where I was going wrong

• When I'm trying something with Topologic in Blender and I don't know why it's not working, in most cases the problem is related to the shape of the list. I spend some time tweaking the levels, wrapping and flattening...

• wrappin' and flattenin'.

jsdbroughtontopologic
  • @Nigel I wish you tagged me!! I am refactoring the nodes in Topologic to exactly mirror the nesting schema of the input. The new release (0.8.2.0) does so for Vertices, Edges, and Wires. There are hundreds of nodes so will take some time. For now, my best advise is always flatten all output. Ping me if you need one on one help.

Nigel
  • @Topologic thank you for the offer, I will take you up on it. I will figure out how to articulate what I want to achieve

topologic
  • @Nigel said:
    @Topologic thank you for the offer, I will take you up on it. I will figure out how to articulate what I want to achieve

Please do and apologies the learning curve is steep. We are working on documentation. It should be ready in a month or so

• While that happens: Excuse my ignorance: can you specify here what these walls and slabs mean? What is WalltoIntertenancy? Like party walls?
    Conceptually, I would do two things:
    1. Assign dictionaries to all walls (perhaps based on the two rooms they separate
    2. Use CellComplex.Decompose and Topology.filter

• @Topologic
    Down here in Aotearoa we call a party wall an intertenancy wall (or IT wall, nothing to do with the people who fix our computers) for some reason.
    We have minimum heating standards for rental housing that involve entering these wall/floor/ceiling areas into a spreadsheet-based calculator that returns the amount of Kw heating required.
    The space I am wanting to calculate is the Kitchen-Dining-Living space where the heating is provided by a heat pump(s) (AKA split cycle or split system heaters).
    I want to make a way to model a space in Blender (quick and simple) to get the areas and export or display the area values so I can enter them into the spreadsheet.
    Stage 2 is to do a bit more modelling so I can get the surface areas of the building envelope to input into the Passive House (AKA Passiv Haus) calculator.
    It is not very complicated, but it is for me :)

topologic
  • Sounds perfect for Topologic. If you want, I can meet you Thursday or Friday to work on it. If so, send a calendar invite to wassimdotjabiatgmail

• edited August 2022

@topologic What time of the day is better for you? as I'm 11 hours ahead of you

• Hi @Nigel,
    I created a tutorial for this. I am an early riser so how about on Thursday at 7:00 am my time? If so, please send me a calendar invite so I get a reminder. Thank you!
    YouTube Video (if blurry, wait a few hours as it is still processing the HD and 4K versions):

NigelJesusbill