Autodesk Letter v3, this time from the Nordic architecture associations

I've started this as a quick article for the website, feel free to discuss the letter / story in this thread and we can link to the discussion in the article:

Martyn Day, who was a key part of the ‘Autodesk Letter’ from 2020 has written an article for AECmag with his thoughts about a new letter.

In 2020 several leading UK and international AEC firms wrote an open letter to Autodesk CEO, Andrew Anagnost, highlighting a range of deep concerns with Revit, Suites, costs, licensing & business practices. A new open letter from Nordic Architectural Associations says nothing has changed.
There has been a new Open Letter to Autodesk, this time from the Danish, Norwegian, Finnish and Icelandic Architectural Associations, which represent 14,000 architects.
Martyn Day

Read the full article: Nordic architectural associations demand better value from Autodesk
This letter is not the first (and maybe not the last) time Autodesk customers have asked themselves if they are getting value for money.
A 2020 letter from UK/international architects to Andrew Anagnost CEO of Autodesk
A 2014 letter to Autodesk from Australian & New Zealand architects

Tagged:
Martin156131JanFkrandeAcecvillagrasaMoult

Comments

• ...if we only had 1/1000000th of the funding, we'd have a competitive replacement in a year.

AcecvillagrasaMartin156131chunchkJohntlang
  • @theoryshaw said:
    ...if we only had 1/1000000th of the funding, we'd have a competitive replacement in a year.

We will get there! It's on its way

• edited September 13

Pffff... Writing letters is for little girls. True men write code of their own BIM applications.

NigelMartin156131CoenMoult
  • Maybe change to for little kids as I hope we have some bold women coders in osarch

brunopostleAceduncanMoultHagaeus
  • I think that apart from the obvious complaints it would be great if we had the resources to get in touch with those associations. I know several members, including one from the EU organization. But we are already pressed for resources, for me both professionally and personally. So it's hard to know what to do. If we had backing from those organizations to make some targeted EU applications we'd quickly be able to hire some developers to help with specific issues.

Let's continue this EU funds part of the conversation here: Funding free software and osarch

Acekrande
  • OK, turns out there are four letters. Hong Kong has also written one. https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6978033533063733248/

• I think we all would agree that this is the original open letter, am I right ;)?
    https://thinkmoult.com/why-revit-is-shit.html

AcebrunopostleBedsoncvillagrasaMoultMartin156131Coenduncanbitacovir
  • Call me a conspiracy theorist but I think autodesk is doing it for a reason and a good one. By leaving the gaps and allowing to patch them with add-ons autodesk is forcing (and allowing) people to become its future developers - a lot of people already heavily invested their time and creativity to sort the most common problems (and will continue to do it). You start with simple dynamo script and end up learning c# and Revit API.
    In the end, a lot of people will end up on autodesk forge or other markets selling add-ons or developing programs for autodesk software. Autodesk wants to become a platform, environment, an operating system, rather than just a good program. This is how they become the true monopolist.

duncantlang
  • edited September 22

@J_W said:
    Call me a conspiracy theorist but I think autodesk is doing it for a reason and a good one. By leaving the gaps and allowing to patch them with add-ons autodesk is forcing (and allowing) people to become its future developers - a lot of people already heavily invested their time and creativity to sort the most common problems (and will continue to do it). You start with simple dynamo script and end up learning c# and Revit API.
    In the end, a lot of people will end up on autodesk forge or other markets selling add-ons or developing programs for autodesk software. Autodesk wants to become a platform, environment, an operating system, rather than just a good program. This is how they become the true monopolist.

An old guy commenting... have spent years of my life developing fixes for proprietary software.. The clients have paid me well... From an ethical standpoint, most of it should have been paid by the vendor ...

lukas
  • Let's not forget that Autodesk has an activist board. What has been happening to R&D is exactly what Carl Bass said would happen back in 2018
    https://mitsloan.mit.edu/ideas-made-to-matter/former-autodesk-ceo-carl-bass-has-his-say-activist-investors
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activist_shareholder

theoryshawtlangCoen
  • Andrew Anagnost, CEO of Autodesk, summed up their position at AU 2022 very well, saying "And if you want a faster horse, you might not want to work with us because we will not make a faster horse. But we can be that partner and tool provider that supports professionals into the new era of architecture."

I have to say I agree with him. Revit is not the future. In many ways the open letters are an expression of the backward looking attitude of so many consulting architects and engineers. What he fails to acknowledge is that Autodesk offers no alternative and by moving all their resources over to makes Revit look more and more like abandonware.

Interesting follow up article: https://architosh.com/2022/09/autodesk-begins-new-era-for-future-of-architecture/

• It's not about faster horses, it's about "not lame" horses. Ford had not been the main supplier for horses back then. He did not make everyone dependent on horses to later stall delivering bug free versions.
    We heard the promise af an "open" data centric approach already twice in the past ("plasma", "quantum"), now it is "forma" ("pro forma" means "to pretend" in German). We hear promises that the main pain points will be addressed in the next 3 to 4 release (no core problems though). I know many people who have been working with Revit for 10+ years. And they are so sick of this policy.
    The vision of a totally new and awesome way to work in a few years to come does not make our jobs easier (or sometimes, even bearable) right now.
    ADSK should know that they made the industry addicted (yes, addicted) to their half baked product. Now they want to ditch all the people that made their "horse business" work?

cvillagrasaNigel