If you're reading this, we've just migrated servers! If anything looks broken please email dion@thinkmoult.com :)

Create ifcSpaces in BlenderBIM

To use IFC-files for daylight and thermal simulations in IDA ICE ifcSpaces are required. Unfortunately they are often missing and then the import does not work properly. I tried to create ifcSpaces in BlenderBim just by copying ifcSlabs (floors) and convert them into ifcSpaces and extruding them into a resonable height and that worked rather well. If I have something more detailed like floor coatings these could be used instead since that would give me individual rooms/spaces. I now wonder if you have any ides to improve this further, for example automate the process or create more complex shapes then extruded floors?

RaphaëlVouillozAce

Comments

• edited November 2022

This thread is related I think.
    https://community.osarch.org/discussion/comment/12049#Comment_12042

@topologic
    Is it now possible to do what @Max is asking with topologicpy?
    https://pypi.org/project/topologicpy/

I would also really like to know if it's possible to create bounded IfcSpaces from IfcWalls and IfcSlabs.

• It is possible for many cases but I have discussed this with @Max and he has expressed his preference not to use topologic.

• I can definitely use topologic but I do not see my users using Sverchok. I have not used topologicPy but if I can package it into a simple Blender workflow I do believe I can convince at least a few users to try to fix a broken IFC-files in Blender.

• @Max said:
    I can definitely use topologic but I do not see my users using Sverchok. I have not used topologicPy but if I can package it into a simple Blender workflow I do believe I can convince at least a few users to try to fix a broken IFC-files in Blender.

There seems to be a misunderstanding. If you remember, I wrote for you a textual python script that found gaps in a BIM model and turned them into rooms. You said you will bracket it with input and output. That is not dependent on sverchok or even blender. But in any case, all code is free and open source so you can use it as you wish.

• I think it's now possible to create IfcSpaces with BlenderBIM with just one click? I saw it somewhere, can't remember where.

Owura_qu
  • I think they can be created based upon walls and a number of clicks (not like Revit that can populate a whole building with rooms/spaces at the same time) but I have not been able to create spaces with complex roofs or/and curtain wall systems.

Coen
  • @Max hey, BBim now can generate spaces from the cursor position and from selected walls, have you tried it?
    You can find the buttons in n-panel -> bbim.
    But the actual procedure just is based on the 2d wall footprint so it only creates extruded solids...but at least it's something :-)
    I think also that it could be improved...could you describe what should be your optimal workflow?

Arv
  • I am not very fond of Revit but the workflow is actually quite good with a single click or totally automised.

• @Massimo said:
    @Max hey, BBim now can generate spaces from the cursor position and from selected walls, have you tried it?
    You can find the buttons in n-panel -> bbim.
    But the actual procedure just is based on the 2d wall footprint so it only creates extruded solids...but at least it's something :-)
    I think also that it could be improved...could you describe what should be your optimal workflow?

In some of the IFC files i have received from an architect, i can not use the automatic function you described to make IFC Spaces. For me, it seems like wall properties are not working ideally for BlenderBim to make it. Even when clicking exterior and interior walls, it will still not do the trick. However, with a IFC file i made myself with BlenderBim (a quick one of my own Apartment) the workflow you described works just as intended.

• @Ole_Marius_Svendsen hi, thanks for the feedback! Can you share the ifc file with problem so i can see what's wrong? At the moment the procedures hasn't been too much battletested so it's kind of normal that sometimes it doesn't function, but i would like to explore more to see if i can improve it!

• Yes of course. Would you have a preferd email i can reach you on?

• Perfect, i herby confirm ive sent you it