ArchiPack and BlenderBIM

2»

Comments

• Will it be possible in a future release, when importing an IFC file in Blender, the IFC object automatically turns into an editable 'archipack' object? That would be absolutely amazing.

• Data model in ifc is a mess, eg: wall can be extruded profile, extruded footprint, boundary representations (breps) .. without any other specific requirements.
    The format was initially not ment for parameter interchange, but things are going slowly in that direction.

Coen
  • What's the reason when adding meshes from a wall library, they don't take the name in the outliner? They are all called wall.

• Library "assets" are parameters only, so at create time a wall object take "wall" as name by default and use stored parameters.
    Upcoming release will introduce "custom" objects in presets for doors and windows (and many other parts) so those objects will re-use stored names.

Coen
  • Is BlenderBIM able to store the offset of an IfcWall natively in IFC?

I remember archipack is able to offset walls, an extremely useful feature. It also could create walls from the outline of a slab.

Would be nice if BlenderBIM is similar of creating similar functionality.

• I think IfcMaterialLayerSetUsage.OffsetFromReferenceLine would be the way to do it.
    https://ifc43-docs.standards.buildingsmart.org/IFC/RELEASE/IFC4x3/HTML/lexical/IfcWall.htm

Coen
  • Indeed, just go into your material settings and set the offset parameter.

Coentheoryshaw
  • @Moult said:
    Indeed, just go into your material settings and set the offset parameter.

Wow that was easy :)

• @Moult said:
    Indeed, just go into your material settings and set the offset parameter.

Noob question: shouldn't setting the offset parameter move the wall? I find it has no effect.

Or is there something obvious I'm missing?

• You need to regen the wall with SHIFT + G or

It would make sense that the offset is automatically updated when the material edition is validated, as it does with the layer thickness.

theoryshawcvillagrasa
  • Mmmm ok! thanks @Gorgious

Interestingly enough, I was just using ifcopenshell-python ?, so I learnt that in addition to setting an OffsetFromReferenceLine in the layerset usage, I should also pass an 'offset' parameter to geometry.add_wall_representation in order to reflect that offset in the Position attribute of the IfcSweptAreaSolid. At first I thought it would be enough with only setting up the usage, but after doing a bit of research, I found this hidden comment at the bSI docs, which indeed also refers to the representation:

Also the OffsetFromReferenceLine shall match the exact positions between the two shape representations of IfcWall, that is the IfcShapeRepresentation's with RepresentationIdentifier="Axis" and RepresentationIdentifier="Body".

So, reaching this level of complexity, I'm starting to wonder if I'm doing it correctly. I just want a wall with its its IfcLocalPlacement coinciding with the centerline, not with a corner, so the offset I'm defining is -total thickness / 2. Kind of the equivalent of IfcCardinalPointReference = 5 (mid-depth centre) for profile usages.

Is there an easier way?