Tabbing into a type--not working

When i try to tab into these types, to changes the vertices, it doesn't seem to work. Test file attached.

test.ifc 111.5K

Comments

• Something we're slowly working towards is to provide complete support for natively editing the various geometry paradigms that IFC supports. For example, solid extrusions should have all the tools you need to add extrusions, change extrusion paths, edit profiles, etc. Tessellations and BReps are treated in a more meshlike fashion. CSGs need support for editing the stack of boolean void/union operations, etc.

So I'm starting to disable mesh edit mode for things which aren't meshes. Mesh editing should only be possible for meshlike things.

I accidentally started too conservative and disabled too many things which I shouldn't have disabled. Should be fixed now https://github.com/IfcOpenShell/IfcOpenShell/commit/901f41358f860d6cd57bbd1d52c4fce46f7a2cf2

theoryshawCoenAcecvillagrasaVDobranov
  • Maybe adding a message in the infobar saying this object is not editable would help users understand why they can't do it ? self.report({'INFO'}, "Object is not mesh-like and can't be edited") or something like that ?

Coenbrunopostletheoryshawcvillagrasa
  • @Gorgious great idea! Any chance of a PR? :)

• Hehe sure I happen to have updated today both Blender & the Blenderbim addon so I can hack away (a little bit :p)

Moult
  • edited April 2023

First commit in a looong time
    https://github.com/IfcOpenShell/IfcOpenShell/commit/45f06eeea7b808fad3f2ba4c700ff8a11759e866

It does beg the question, if it's really warranted to de-select objects that can't be edited. I don't think the users expect it to happen.
    But we're obligated to do so since the edit system it tightly coupled to the selection system. Food for thought

It may be interesting to add something in the hint to point users to the associated type or profile if they want to change the typed object's representation ?

theoryshawMoultAce
  • Yeah good idea, we can get the representation type using representation.RepresentationType to tell the user what we've disallowed.

Agreed that deselection is a bit weird. If they've only selected non-meshy things, we can finish the operation without toggling edit mode and deselecting things. If they've selected both mesh and non-mesh things, I think we have no choice but to deselect, but maybe we can track it and reselect on the next toggle? But that seems fragile.